Correct way to update Elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by doncipo, Jun 30, 2010.

1. doncipo

Hi,

I'm new to Elastix. What is the correct method to update Elastix ? Should I use only the Elastix repo to update ?

2. dicko

At this point in time I suggest that you do not update anything neither Elastix or FreePBX, particularly if all is working, (Elastix is transitional right now and the repos are far from stable or synchronized with the up-line stuff)

dickounstable.

3. doncipo

Thank you for the reply ! At this time I have a new install of Elastix 2.0 RC3 (waiting for the release). Nothing is configured yet. Just wanted to know if I should stick only to the Elastix repo after the 2.0 release? Or is it safe to use the other Centos repos? The docs are ambiguous in this matter.

4. dicko

Elastix 2.0 is not released yet, use any beta at your own risk I personally don't think it is even close to ready yet.

dicko

p.s.

What docs? ;)

5. doncipo

"Elastix without tears" says it is safe to use only Elastix repo to update but Elastix comes with both repos (it's own and Centos) enabled. After further reading I concluded it is safe to update from Centos repo as long there are only Centos bug fix and security updates.

6. dicko

replaced with above post, but WTF! is editing broke or is it me?

7. dicko

The real "docs" are in the /etc/yum.repos.d/* files, they can (and will :) ) include or exclude anything, basically don't allow kernel or module updates, watch out for for possible FreePBX regressions in the Elastix repos, contradicting anything you did reasonably in FreePBX itself. But in general "hold your horses" until PaloSanto gets back in the saddle with 2.0 final.

8. doncipo

Back again. Thanks for the answers. I know about repos because I'm quite experienced with Centos. Got Elastix 1.6 installed. Now, before I start configure it I wish to update it to the latest 1.6 packages (not those for 1.6.2-rc2): how should I do ? Should I keep the Centos repos enabled ? Thanks in advance ...

9. dicko

If it is a basic install that you haven't messed with, then either use the Elastix yum update gui or yum itself. Don't change anything unless you know what you are doing and why you are doing it.

10. doncipo

Many thanks ! Then I will leave it unchanged.