core show codecs

Discussion in 'General' started by mlewis, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mlewis

While this shows me the codecs, how do I find out what is actually installed/usable? The list which shows up, I can see that some are usable now but others, it's not clear.

Mike

2. jgutierrez

A quick answer would be to execute:
    ll /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_*

3. mlewis

# ll /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_*

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11240 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_adpcm.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7744 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_alaw.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7104 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_a_mu.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15984 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_dahdi.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15584 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_g722.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12992 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_g726.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15776 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_gsm.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 40440 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_lpc10.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23688 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_speex.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7744 Jun 5 14:32 /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/codec_ulaw.so

So these are all active by default or just on the system if I want to activate them? For example, the manual suggested some h.263 codecs for video as well, which I've put into the config, video conf works but I don't see those here?

mike

4. dicko

Mike:
    Contrary to your previous self analysis

rasterisk -x "show codecs"

will actually show you what codecs are currently INSTALLED and USABLE by asterisk. The trick is to learn how to actually use them.

You can only "find out" with your own knowledge, (the whole premise is it is "open source", i.e. nothing is hidden).

The video modules are not technically codecs (coder/decoder)s but pass through "formatters", a big difference, you can list them with /usr/lib(x)/asterisk/modules/format_*

As ever voip-info.org will provide a "lot of answers", You might have to widen your horizons for YOUR ambition however, basically you just have to be patient and do your "due diligence".

A full comprehension of these necessary basics will both shorten your learning curve and reduce your frustration, I believe you want to build a video conferencing solution, this is admirable, but also largely unbroken ground in asterisk, I applaud you. You get to be a pioneer! but I believe that you will find it to be lonely out there. Go for it! Be that pioneer and I look forward to your progress reports.

5. mlewis

So these are all installed but not necessarily configured.

Truth be told about the video aspect, it's not something I want to spend much time on, it's just a little bonus I wanted to include into the mix for the few who think it's 'fun'.

Really, I just wanted to spend a little time on it to get it working to some point where it's at least usable. The manual does touch on what to put into the config but not much else so have not been able to find all that much on this without learning way more than I'd like to about it :).

Much more important is trying to get a basic understanding of what's going on with codecs, what's there, what needs what, etc.

Mike

6. dicko

(from dicko, a grumpy old bastard)

7. mlewis

>>yes they are configured, they are there, you can use them!.

Good to know as I begin looking into this.

>>I thought you said basic video calls work, what more do you want?

Nothing. As I said, just wanted to know if this was about as good as it gets or if there is some fine tuning I should do. I just want something basic, no real need for video, just a fun addition.

>>That's the rub, your questions are way too generic, sorry I personally
    >>don't have the time to come over and read the basics to you :)
    >>(your job, I suggest?)

I thought we agreed on this when I joined the forums? :).
    As for generic, it appeared to me that since you're practically the only person who replies to questions, that you might appreciate questions which don't simply request an answer but answers which help to seek out the solution. I think telling me about the codecs above, in this message, is the first time you've actually *given* me an actual answer. Most everything else has been a little nudge, tip, positioning to help me seek out the answer.

Guess I'm a bit confused about how forums work these days. I always thought everyone helps everyone with actual answers, then those who learn from playing with end up showing others.

Mike

8. dicko

How perspicacious of you:

My intention was indeed to encourage (I hope gently) your self sufficiency, You have asked "extraordinary" questions, and yes I could (and have in other circumstances) have been more explicit, but if you want to get the best out of this whole project, then you have to learn to fish, any fish I could give you will last you exactly one meal, then where will you get the next fish from? :)

Fora are (or at least were) places for the exchange of views, surely not to be considered didactic in essence. (That would, I believe, be considered an academy). Albeit, you asked, I answered, feel free to reject or accept. . .

But . . . Please enjoy playing and learning, I have myself found it enlightenin (maybe not playful in my case, more survivalist). Eventually you yourself might, as you intimate, be able to help others down line after putting that effort in.

Regards,

dicko