Connecting Traditional Operator console

Discussion in 'General' started by williajjc, May 25, 2009.

1. williajjc

Hi All

Is it possible to connect a traditional operator console to elastix. This would now be instead of using the flash based Ops console. I know that normal analog phones connect seemlessly to FXS ports, but what about a traditional operators console? Is this possible, and if so how would it be done?

Thanks.

2. dicko

If by a "traditional" operator console you mean a piece of hardware attached to a "traditional" pbx/key-switch then the probably answer is "no", they tend to either use multiple pairs(very old technology) or proprietary signaling to the PBX. However if you just want to replicate the functionality then the answer is largely "yes", several sip phone manufacturers offer "side-car" type hardware that allows you to expand the buttons/call presence notification for BLF(Busy Lamp Field) and DSS(Direct Station Select) type function (usually combined into multi color led indication), My preference iwould be an Aastra 57i and (I believe,) up to three of there "side-cars" (can't remember the model number) with a bit of effort and the installation of Aastra's xml provisioning/presence server, you will have a very effective replacement for that old thing.

3. williajjc

Thanks. That helps alot. I also see I can use the HUDlite which is a softphone like OPS console.

4. dicko

If you can keep it working for a whole working day B)