confused with fxo/fxs :-(

byaru1

Folk,

Someone please explain to me - We have an existing (pots) PBX, which I am interfacing with asterik (elastix) using a digium TDM400P with 2fxs/2fxo configuration. We want the users in the IP cloud to reach the other PBX and vice-varsa using this single extension from the pots pbx.

Should I plug the telephone cable of this extension into an fxs or fxo port? Because, logically, I treat it as an "incoming telephone line" to the asterisk?

How about a direct analog line from an ADSL splitter? Do I also hook such a cable into the fxo or fxs port? Because ordinarily, this cable would hook into a telephone headset, so can I hook it into fxs? I'm certainly confused..

DaveD

You would need to plug into FXO
FXS is for adding analog handsets as extensions

byaru1

You would need to plug into FXO
FXS is for adding analog handsets as extensions
Yes, this is what I suspected, but currently, the phone line (from the ADSL splitter) is in fact plugged into fxs port (no 4) and the asterisk can receive calls from this (on DAHDI 4/1) and redirect them to an IP phone. So, I am really confused why this is so? Here is my dahdi-channels.conf,

; Autogenerated by /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf on Tue Jun 30 11:41:40 2009 -- do not hand edit
; Dahdi Channels Configurations (chan_dahdi.conf)
;
; This is not intended to be a complete chan_dahdi.conf. Rather, it is intended
; to be #include-d by /etc/chan_dahdi.conf that will include the global settings
;

; Span 1: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 5" (MASTER)
;;; line="1 WCTDM/4/0 FXOKS"
signalling=fxo_ks
callerid="Channel 1" <4001>
mailbox=4001
group=5
context=from-internal
channel => 1
callerid=
mailbox=
group=
context=default

;;; line="2 WCTDM/4/1 FXOKS"
signalling=fxo_ks
callerid="Channel 2" <4002>
mailbox=4002
group=5
context=from-internal
channel => 2
callerid=
mailbox=
group=
context=default

;;; line="3 WCTDM/4/2 FXSKS"
signalling=fxs_ks
callerid=asreceived
group=0
context=from-pstn
channel => 3
callerid=
group=
context=default

;;; line="4 WCTDM/4/3 FXSKS"
signalling=fxs_ks
callerid=asreceived
group=0
context=from-pstn
channel => 4
callerid=
group=
context=default

So, it appears to me that channel 4 is indeed fxs, but why is it that the system received and send a call through this channel? (DAHDI/4-1)? Does the nomenclature DAHDI/4-1 mean channel 4? What does the 1 mean?

DaveD

Channel 4 is FXO
FXS channels will have from-internal

byaru1

Ah yes, I see my confusion - thanks.

My other problem is that when calling in from outside to any of the incoming lines, the system does not hang up when the call is terminated. I have to manually hang up the calls in the flash panel.

This is not the case with outgoing calls though.

What can I do to rectify this?

thanks
eb

DaveD

/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf
uncomment lines
;Uncomment these lines if you have problems with the disconection of your analog lines
busydetect=yes
busycount=3

byaru1

DaveD said:
uncomment lines
;Uncomment these lines if you have problems with the disconection of your analog lines
busydetect=yes
busycount=3
Thanks, I do much appreciate your assistance to a poor newbie !

Now, seems I'm getting there, but a few nuances still exist.

I'm setting up DISA, and our old PBX is a nortel with all nortel phones hooked into it. The problem is that when I make a call from any of the phones on the nortel PBX to DISA on my asterisk PBX, I get a dial tone from asterisk, but the asterisk does not seem to receive any tones when numbers are dialled from the phones. (Are these the DTMF tones/commands?) SO in short, the nortel system does not seem to pass DTMF tones to asterisk.

Is this someone else has experienced? How can I resolve this one?

byaru1

DaveD said:
uncomment lines
busydetect=yes
busycount=3
What do the above directives actually mean? Because sometimes, I'm still experiencing the issue of calls not hanging up even after uncomenting the lines above.

rgds
eb

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti