Complete Beginner Help Please

charliefunkuk

Firstly you will have to excuse my ignorance with all things Linux, I know absolutely nothing. So..... I have just purchased a HP Proliant 360 Server from Ebay. It has an intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Processor, 2 GB Ram, 1 x 18GB 10k RPM SCSI drive, Dual NICs, CD Rom, 1u Rackmount.

The box came pre-installed with Elastix.

I managed to login to the box to a clean install of Elastix. It appears to be an older version that the current one. Can someone give me "idiot proof" step by step guide on how to upgrade to the very latest version.

I also bought on ebay today a Sangoma A200 3 port FXO/FXS card for this unit, and Im hoping this is what I need to connect my 2 BT telephone lines to the system??

When I say I am totally new to this, I mean I am REALLY new, and im learning by reading what I can and seemingly trial and error. I eventually plan to install the box into my business as the main telephone system and hopefully only have 1 BT line coming on for my broadband connection.

If I am barking up the wrong tree with any of this I would be very grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Neil

dicko

First off, Wecome:

Second go to the Downloads Tab at the top of this page and download "Elastix Without Tears" and the latest "Stable" iso image,

Start reading the E.W.T. document as you burn the iso , put it in the machine and hit the go button, answer all the questions and you are largely done (after you have finished E.W.T :) )

Each BT line you use will need an FXO interface module on the card. (Phones use FXS)

charliefunkuk

Hey many many thanks for your help! I will give that a try then. So I assume it will boot from the disc and install then itself?

So the card I have is FXO/FXS, I assume my BT line plugs into the FXO ports and when you say FXS is for the phones do you mean standard phones plug into this??

Neil

rollinsolo

Just for Future FYI, as long as you have sufficient bandwidth at your office location preferably good upload bandwidth then to save money on audio hardware especially sangoma, try a voip provider and if your happy with their service then you can port your #'s to them. Usually two lines would not take up too much but I do not know your specs out there.

dicko

charliefunkuk said:
Hey many many thanks for your help! I will give that a try then. So I assume it will boot from the disc and install then itself?

So the card I have is FXO/FXS, I assume my BT line plugs into the FXO ports and when you say FXS is for the phones do you mean standard phones plug into this??

Neil
Have you read "Elastix Without Tears Yet" ? :)

charliefunkuk

Nope but im certainly going to now :)

Many thanks for your help

charliefunkuk

OK sorry for the daft questions!!!

I did as I been told here and downloaded the ISO and burnt it to disc. I put it into the computer and it for some reason does not boot.

the only way I seem to be able to access the PC is by typing the machines IP address into my PC on the same network and I am presented with the Elastic Login screen. I can login to Elastix no problem but its version 1.6-12 and I wanted to update it to latest.

I have no keyboard for the server machine I am using only USB ones and the USB devices done seem to be work until well down the boot up process.

So my question is can I update Elastic by loggin in from my laptop on the network. I have the latest elastix download in my laptop disc by NO idea what I am supposed to do. As I said previously I know NOTHING about Linux or its command lines so dont know where to start.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Neil

dicko

1.6.12 is close enough to the latest, I suggest given your self admitted newbieness in linux you don't worry/confuse yourself too much, nothing has really changed since then and you can completely configure a working system from the Elastix Interface (Juts do that E.W.T. thingy)

To start the recovery process of being a newbie, I suggest you get a copy of putty and winscp fire them up and look around.

There are plenty of posts here to keep you busy for a few days, let us know how it progresses

When you are a little more comfortable with "black and white" screens you will find a simple

yum update

from the console will get you there.

charliefunkuk

many thanks for reply.

Ive used putty before so am ok with that. I can log into the machine I get root@192.168.0.9 but I have no clue about the password :( then once I had it I woudldnt know what to do then :)

dicko

Kind of a catch 22 there there are plenty of posts here to reset the root password, unfortunately you will need a functioning keyboard to do it.

As to not knowing, I will have to give you the universal answer which is of course 42, in other words you will know after you learn :) :)

charliefunkuk

Well I have a USB keyboard but the box boots straight into Asterisk. The USB devices dont work until well into the boot sequence. :( hence the keyboard doesnt work till asterisk is almost starting.

dicko

How much does a ps2 keyboard cost over there?

charliefunkuk

cheap cheap if I can find one! :p

Amphibian

Welcome to Elastix, and mostly, welcome to the world of Linux.... Beware, once you learn Linux you will sell all your Windows machines.... You've been warned... lol

One might suggest that when your HP machine boots and gets to Elastix, that you research the standard passwords found in EWT and on here, try that first from your laptop machine, You may have the luck of the draw on your side and all passwords are left the same. Did you try to contact the person you bought the machine from on Ebay to see if they have the psswd's? I have had to request passwds after purchase from some of the people that I have bought from on Ebay. Some people just wait for you to call instead of giving them to you when you purchase the equipment. I classify them under a well known name (like DA) when that happens.....

Your HP should see the USB keyboard before it gets to the start stage of Elastix, unless it has been changed in BIOS for some unknown reason, from what I remember of the 360, additionally, you could have a bad USB port on the one you connected to. Again, you could try one of the other USB ports as some of those HP 360's come with more than one USB port.

Of cource, if you have access to a standard KB, then once it powers up and begins the bios boot, hit the F2 (or ctrl + s + esc, or, ctrl+esc) key and check BIOS to make sure it is set to boot from the CD, then just install new Elastix and forget about finding passwds.

Good Luck
Amphibian

Amphibian

charliefunkuk

While I'm thinking about it your HP machine should have remote management access that would allow you to get into the machine without having to connect a KB or monitor to it.

Check out HP's web site and search for something like maybe "HP ProLiant Onboard Administrator, powered by Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2)" for your model. They should give a description about it and may even tell you how to do it if you have no knowledge on howto.

I know that some I've bought in the past had that option.

Good luck
Amphibian

charliefunkuk

Hi All.

Ok today I bought myself a PS2 keyboard and hooked up a monitor and a keyboard to the box. I burnt a version from this website to CD. I managed to somehow find the boot sequence order and CD rom is indeed first. Nothing happens, it just loads Elastix as usual.

Also If I login to the box from my laptop using the IP address I get the Elastix login page and I can login using a username and password. (the default one).

Running the system on the box itself I am greeted with an elastix login something like :-

CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
Lernel 2.6.18-154.el5xen on an i696

elastic login:

If I use the same login and password as I use when I login from my laptop it just tells me I have "Login Incorrect"

That however isnt really my issue, I want to boot from the CD to install the latest verion :(

Its doing my brain in!! Heeeelllllpppppp! :(

Neil

goblinbs

hi

this is normal !! you are trying to login the centos system !! it's not the same password as for elastix.

you should login with user : root
for the password, you should use the one you entered during the installation (from ISO), !! just remember the installer asked you to enter a password !

good luck

goblinbs

NOTE :

you don't see the password while you're typing it !! it's a linux habit !

charliefunkuk

I bought the PC with clean install of elastix already on it, so dont know what passwords were used. Im trying to get the machine to boot from the CD Rom to install the latest version of Elastix, but I dont know how to do it.

The only "other" place ive managed to get to apart from the elastix login is something that says:-

<GRUB>

Im lost!!

Help! :(

dicko

There are exactly 74 reasons why it won't boot from the cdrom, don't sweat that yet, lets reset the root password of the working system for now.

No CD and boot, press the esc key as soon as the BIOS passes muster, select the non-xen kernel, then choose edit and append the word

single

to the line that starts kernel you will eventually be presented with a "prompt" to which you will respond

passwd

and answer the question (twice) that will be your new root password

type

init 3

and you should be up and running

dicko

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members