Company Voicemail Box

Discussion in 'General' started by infoalan, May 17, 2010.

1. infoalan

Total Newbie to Elastix but loving it!

Dumb question: Want to have callers that call after business hours go to a general voicemail box. How do we set it up so that 2-3 different users/phones can (1) know there is a voice mail in that mailbox (not their mailbox but the shared firm mailbox) and (2) how do they check it?

Or is that the best way to do it?

We created an IVR with a "general voicemail" box but want to make sure a customer/client's message gets addressed first thing in the morning.

FYI... our phones (SPA941) have an excellent LED that VM is waiting BUT that is for the users OWN VM box not the general firm mailbox.

THANKS for any advice!

Alan

2. jgutierrez

And how are you planning to do it? Will it go directly into the voicemail, or it will go into an IVR, and then setup an option to go into voicemail?

How is supposed to work the time condition? Just sent it directly into the voicemail after hours, or send it into another IVR?

3. infoalan

Incoming calls go to a Ring Group. On no answer, it goes to an IVR that lets the caller choose a user or leave a message in the general mailbox.

No time conditions other that when no one is in the office, it will go to the general mailbox per above.

4. perezil

Re:Company Voicemail Box (General Mail Box)

Really, over a year and no one has come up with a solution? This is a pretty common scenario. Thus I am bumping it for the benefit of the whole.

Solution Required: General Mail Box

Reason for need:
    1. Caller does not know whom to leave a message to.
    2. IVR does not know who the call is for.
    3. Call Queue has to many users (overflow) or the time waiting in queue has expired.

In either of those cases, a General Delivery Mailbox is the best solution.

Requirements:
    1. The General Delivery Mailbox should be monitored by more than one person.
    2. A person leaving a message in the mailbox should trigger the New Message indicator.
    3. A button on the phone can be programmed to interact with General Mail Box.
    4. The GMB button should flash or have an indicator (on LCD?) that there are new messages.

5. suthern101

I agree, this is a very common issue, and I'm surprised nobody has a solution.

For me, the solution would involve
    1. Setting up a virtual extension to give me a common mailbox,
    2. Program Asterisk (Elastix) to send signals to the phone to blink one of the lights when a message is waiting,
    3. Program the phones so pressing the blinking button will retrieve the voicemail.

Which I will set about working on.

6. Bob

Bob

Why over complicate things??

As you said, for a company mailbox, setup a custom extension e.g. 299, this will be your company mailbox.

Ideally, it will send an email with the voicemail to a Office Administration group to follow up

and/or

It leaves a message in the Voice mailbox 299

On the phones that are part of this Office admin group, or say all of the office phones, set them so that they show the MWI for both their phone and the company mailbox.

Under the Elastix Extension config for each extension that you want to monitor 299
    set mailbox = 201@default,299@default (assuming that we are configuring extension 201 here)

It would be very easy to see, especially for the first person to walk in the office, in the morning, to see that all the MWI lights are red, which would be an indication that there is a message waiting on Voicemail 299.

Even if this was not apparent. If you have a company procedure of checking that your personal voicemailbox is cleared promptly (which any good company would have).If after clearing your personal voicemails, that see that your MWI light is still RED, it means that there are company voicemails to be checked.

Regards

Bob

7. Amphibian

Sir Bob,

Excellent write. Another fine response to add to my note book of notes.

Keep up the good work.

Amphibian

8. Bob

Bob

Thanks Amphibian.....

Regards

Bob