Community Suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Bob

Bob

Rafael,

Have transferred this from the front page comments, so that it is in the right place.

Not sure if it fits into your role as Community Manager but here goes:-

1) Improvement on release mechanism for updates and changes. Many of the updates, and releases have little or no information with them. As an example 1.1-2 is available, but no information on changes, and nothing that can be seen from sources.

2) A proper bugtrac system, so that bugs can be entered. I recognise that Palosanto is probably using an internal one, but users do want to help with bug corrections, and without it, the community cannot contribute or feel like that they are contributing. Even if you get a few experienced users to act as "moderators", removing or correcting entered bugs, so that the only bugs in the list are genuine, qualified bugs that the Palosanto team look at... A lot better than trying to submit bug reports twenty times in the forum in all different spots.

3) Project track system.
    Place to allow tracking of special interest projects e.g. integration of a new tool or product. These projects might be interests that the Elastix team have but haven't time to start, and would like community help, or might be interests from the community on projects that they have already started.

I recognise that these would not be something you can immediately implement, but may be they can be put into your longer range projects...

Regards

Bob

2. rafael

Bob wrote:

That information can be access from here:
    http://www.elastix.org/changelog.txt

I admit we should put the link with the news each time a new release is out. For the next release we are going to work on that together with the development team.

Bob wrote:

Right now we are using the sourceforge bugtrack system. I guess that the main problem is that people doesn't know that and we should work on the ussability of this website. Do you think we should use something external or the problem is that people just don't know about sourceforge bugtrack system?

Bob wrote:

I is a good idea we would work on that.

Bob wrote:

Thank you bob for your recommendations we would work on all of them.

Regards,

Rafael

3. Bob

Bob

Rafael,

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks on the link to the changelog. I think there was a time where it wasn't updated and I have since gone blind to the menu option due to that fact. I have looked at it and generally that is all that is required.

On the Bug trac system. Yes I am aware of the sourceforge system, but very little input has been input into that system, and I suspect I am not the only one that thought that it is not being actually utilised other than the occasional glance. Further evidence on the Bug trac system is that many of the issues for the last 3-4 months are assigned to nobody...hence my deduction that it is a bug trac system that is not being used. As you may be aware there have been more than 43 bugs over the last 12 months, so again a natural deduction that it is not being used internally.

The sourceforge one is very basic and there are many other good bug trac systems around, which include searching, version handling, priority, criticality, reassignment etc....It doesn't have to be as complex as the Digium bug trac syste, but that one gives you an idea...

Again, not criticism, just providing a view of a user from this side....

Regards

Bob<br><br>Post edited by: Bob, at: 2008/07/18 05:45

4. danardf

good morning.

if i can permit me.

for exemple:
    Elastix is now 1.1-7 version.
    The changelog is 1.1-2. :(

I can't know the news features of elastix 1.1-7 version!

otherwise, if you can include into features section, more features like :
    [Asterisk]
    Asterisk version : 1.4.x
    Zaptel version : .....etc

[freepbx]
    version: 2.3.x

5. Bob

Bob

Rafael,

Darnardf has written some good points, similar in line with my thoughts over the last year or so...I wrote my comment in haste, and forgot to include these points.

Likewise, as again stated by Darnardf, the version numbers of Asterisk and Zaptel version changes are very important as well, as they may make a difference to whether the latest Digium card is supported, or a bug fixed in the Zaptel to correct one of these cards.

Possibly with each change note, as danardf has mentioned it runs along the lines of

Elastix Version 1.1-17
    =====================
    Asterisk 1.4.32 (unchanged)
    Zaptel 1.4.21 (unchanged)
    Freepbx 2.4 (updated)
    - Add new language japanese.
    - Update language brazilian-portuguese, romanian
    - Update module pbxadmin menus.
    - New module recordings in Agenda menu.
    - Calendar better, now recordings record.
    - Openfire updated to 4.1
    - Vtiger updated to 5.4

This simple note provides a wealth of information, and leaves it upto the user to check what new features the Asterisk and Zaptel version provide by going to the Asterisk.org site, or heading to the Freepbx site, to look at the new 2.4 version, or looking at the Vtiger site to see what 5.4 gives them.

You might note that Asterisk, Zaptel and Freepbx are always stated on each release as these form the core modules at least from a PBX point of view and are probably very important. Updates to other modules are not as critical and not updated as much and could remain as one liners when changes occur.

You might argue to download and install and review the changes, but as you may appreciate downloading 560Mb+ to find that nothing critical has changed makes a reasonable dent in bandwidth allocationm especially if a few releases are close together...

Anyhow, just a few more points, and I am sure others would agree that these are simple measures but would provide a wealth of information and most like reduce the confusion, and multiple questions in the forums.

Regards

Bob

6. danardf

I do not think the asterisk version 1.4.32 exists!
    The latest version is 1.4.21.1

But good idea

7. Bob

Bob

It doesn't...... and neither does Elastix 1.1-17.:eek:hmy:

I was writing it with the idea that this was a future release of a changelog and how it would look :)

But thank you for putting a gentle smile on my face after what has been a trying day :cheer:

Otherwise, the good idea was all yours, all I did was expand it...and reinforce what you had raised..

Regards

Bob

8. danardf

haaa ok... excuse me. :p

Me, i would say even more: : Asterisk version 1.6.2 ;)

SIP TCP, TLS...etc Wooh.... :woohoo:

9. A.G.A.

may be, it could be nice to create a FAQ branch at the forum.
    where moderated howto's to be stored.

10. rafael

Maybe the wiki is a better place for that. Being a wiki it is easier to have it updated because anyone can help.

Best Regards,

Rafael

11. gah242s

On the changelog.txt line of discussion I would like to make a suggestion.

It would seem that the changelog.txt file on the website should be the same file that is included with the latest ISO. That would mean that there are at least two different changelog.txt files linked on the site. The one on the front page would probably be the STABLE and then somewhere on the Beta/Dev pages would be the link to the changelog.txt for those files.

A quick file replacement when a new ISO was released would take care the update and then the files are exactly the same.

Just an idea.