Comercial use of Elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by jbarrios, Oct 5, 2009.

1. jbarrios

Hi, some customers aked us a system based on asterisk, we took asterisk 1.6, elastix, made some changes to elastix (zaptel to dahdi, look and feel, cut some funciotalities), we sell in order to recover our inversion to make the modifications.

I read, that the system is licensed with GPL 2, we participate in asterisk community and understand what you feel with people who take all the credits from a community.

I know the steps that we have to move to avoid legal issues, but we are interested in the ethics steps that you think we have to make, for example, include the copyright in the index.php.

Can we cooperate with the community with some of our customizations (the important ones)?

Tell me if you consider appropiate to do something else.

Thanks

2. Chilling_Silence

Have you had your legal team read over the GPLv2 and you understand the implications of using & modifying code released under such a system?

As far as giving back to the community is concerned, to be honest I wouldn't have a clue there. I give back in the form of support through these forums, and other places online also.

Perhaps speaking with the Rafael would be good? You should be able to send him a PM on the forums here :)

3. jbarrios

Thanks for your answer, i will try to contact the support department.

Another question, if i only modify php files, the user can navigate through some of them and have access to the directory.

Because, php files are not binaries, if i redistribute, do i have to pack the files in other media rather my installation CD?, when he install and have access to the php files will be enough?

Sorry my english, and my insistence, i am trying to do the thing correctly and i am new at this.

Thanks a lot

4. rafael

I am not very clear about the first question. I believe you made some improvements to Ealstix and you would like to share that back to the community and/or the project. Is that true? The best thing you can do is share your work with the Elastix developer mailing list:
    http://lists.elastix.org/mailman/listinfo/developers

If yoour code is only php, you are sharing the sources already.

What is your language? We are from Ecuador, por lo que hablamos español ;)

Regards,

Rafael

5. jbarrios

Rafael, qué tal?, somos de Uruguay.

El primer tópico era más que nada, estamos usando Elastix con algunas modificaciones, estamos vendiendo el sistema dado que invertimos en las modificaciones. Pero dado que hemos usado cosas basado en la comunidad queremos devolver el favor viendo si algunas de nuestras mejoras le puede servir a su comunidad que hizo un gran producto.

Somos nuevos en esto de códigos GPL, no queremos tampoco caer en falta con el licenciamiento, menos aún aprovecharnos del esfuerzo de uds, por eso queremos hacer las cosas bien ya que por ignorancia podemos caer en falta.

Por lo que tengo entendido, debemos poner la clausula de GPL en el index.php, si solo modificamos los php, los fuentes ya los ve el usuario final.

Hay alguna otro requisito legal que pueda comprometernos?, alguno no legal que ayude a la comunidad?, ej: Powered by Elastix (aunque se que esto no siempre es bueno, ya que si hay algún bug quedan mal uds). Nos contactaremos por las listas de mails para compartir los cambios, aunque para uds, ya los habrán solucionado hace tiempo.

Saludos y gracias por responder.

Javier Barrios