Codecs - G.729

Discussion in 'General' started by rollinsolo, Mar 18, 2010.

1. rollinsolo

I have a few low bandwidth not too many options customers that could benefit from using the g729 codec for their remote extensions at the low bandwidth locations. So my questions are this:

1. Has anyone purchased the codes licenses from Digium and installed them fairly easy?

2. Since I have three Remote extensions that need this, is it easy to make sure the 729 channel codec I purchased is forced to only go over this extension, using disallow and allow (I would think I would just put in g729 in allow),

3. How would I force G729 first before all other codecs, for instance Dissalow=all, and allow=g729&ulaw&alaw ; would that try 729 first always if available.

2. dicko

yes
    yes
    yes

3. rollinsolo

hahahahha, nice Ok last few questions, is there a workaround from trying 729 first before buying, because it looks as if once I buy for a specific server you can only use for that server. So lets say I bought 4 for my server ( I have 4 channels) and then wiped my server out and loaded Elastix 2.0, could I migrate my 729 licenses over to the new flavor. How do they track their licenses is it by IP, Mac Address or what. Thanks Dicko.

4. rollinsolo

Your alright Dicko. Thanks. I like the floating license idea. +1 to you my friend.

5. rollinsolo

Dicko, I notice Howler supports asterisk 1.4.26.2 and elastix 1.6 is using 1.4.26.1 is there going to be a problem or should I figure out how to upgrade my asterisk to the later version. Not really excited to do this on a Thursday evening.

6. dicko

I doubt that the binaries will be that different at that level, I normally compile my own asterisk et al. , patches if appropriate . so I can't be authoritative, personally I use the Digium stuff (it's on sale right now).

I suggest you "suck it and see"

dicko

7. rollinsolo

Ok I already got the howler server running and the 729 module up, they have an easy tutorial to follow for the trial setup, is the digium similar, do I also have to load a server to I am really assuming here (perform the compression and decompression) to avoid your voice from catching the benz.?

Ok so once I get digium working, how do I make sure I uninstall the howlets server. Just want to make sure it does not use too many resources.

8. dicko

That would be in the FM :)

Transcoding to g729 is a little onerous but on a well dimensioned server I wouldn't sweat it until you have a problem.

9. rollinsolo

Oh you didn't mention the license expires in 20 years, what a ripoff. JK. Thanks again.

10. rollinsolo

One last question regarding g729 channels from Digium, I installed one for one remote phone, so one channel, and on that extension I dissalow=all, and allow=g729. So I assume it will use g729 for all outbound calls. What happens when someone from the office calls (extension dials) that remote phone will the conversation be in 729 or a mix due to the fact I only purchased one channel.

11. dicko

The codec used must be negotiated between the endpoints, many hard phones have g729 licensed on them so the call will go through Asterisks pass-through (no music/conferences etc) if there is not a mutually acceptable pair of codecs the call will fail.

12. rollinsolo

Yes the phone is licensed for 729, its an atcom 310 or close, and I went to audio settings and chose 729 for the first, then ulaw, alaw 2nd and 3rd.
    But my confusion lies with someone from the office calling the remote extension, so lets say ext 501 calls ext 510 and 501 is g711(ulaw), and 510 is the 729 I purchased, will that call be compressed. and then the other way around 510 calls 501 same question.

13. dicko

The highest priority mutually agreed codec will be selected , and will be used for both directions for that session, The initiating devices priorities will be respected, so I guess it depends on how you set it up.

14. rollinsolo

ok thank you for that, so If I have this right in my head, I might need to purchase a few more licenses so that calls initiated to and from those extensions will use g729 first, the local office where Elastix lies has a PRI which I know uses g711 for voice, so this is mainly for VoIP extension dialing.

15. dicko

Yes, you will definitely need licenses to send them out g711.

16. ismed

17. dicko

Ismed:

Those references are of course just that , not technically options, within them there are mentioned two legitimate sources that will supply you with legal licensed versions, I cannot and will not comment on any other sources that are probably stolen definitley unethical and likely illegal in many countries.

dicko

18. dicko

Ismed:

Those references are of course just that , not technically options, within them there are mentioned two legitimate sources that will supply you with legal licensed versions, I cannot and will not comment on any other sources that are probably stolen definitely unethical and likely illegal in many countries.

dicko