Codec g729 upgrade

Discussion in 'General' started by ericng, Sep 25, 2009.

1. ericng

I have been following the guide in "Elastix Without Tears" to install codec g729. A "core show translation recalc 10" indicated the codec g729 is loaded after asterisk been restarted.

The problem I am facing now is the sip extensions within the LAN can call each others using codec g729 but not with sip extensions outside of the LAN (the phone always say service not available). BTW, I am using freepbx to disable all the codec (disallow: all), then enable only codec g729 (allow: g729).

Hope someone can shed some light to the problem above.

Thanks and Regards,

Eric

2. Mirko87

Hi Eric,
    before you disable the codecs and allows only the G729, you could call from in LAN to the outside?

Regards,
    Mirko

3. Chilling_Silence

But it's fine using another codec such as g711 -> g711?
    What if you set disallow=all / allow=g729 on the internal ones, and disallow=all / allow=alaw on the external ones, then from ssh run:
    asterisk -r
    sip show channels

When you're on a call that'll show you what codecs which is using. The box should transcode. That'll be a start ;)

What endpoints are you using ?
    SIP trunks at all?

4. ericng

Hi Mirko,

Yes, I can call from in LAN to the outside before disabling the codecs and allows only g729. The moment I set to allow only g729, only my extensions within the LAN can call each others. Any further hints to resolve this?

5. ericng

Hi,

Tested what you said. If set disallow=all / allow=g729 with internal extensions, codec used is g729. If set disallow=all / allow=alaw with external extensions, the codec is alaw and never had a chance to use g729. My purpose to use g729 for external extensions is I do not have very good WAN connection.

I am using SIP extensions at my endpoints.

Hope to get further assistance

6. Mirko87

Ok... The Extensions HardPhone or SoftPhone supports G729?

7. ericng

Hi Mirko,

I am using Xlite softphone. How can I find out whether this softphone supports G729 or not? The strange thing is these softphone extensions work well with G729 over the local LAN but when placed outside the LAN, they were failed to call each others.

8. Patrick_elx

Menu -> advanced -> codecs.

In my Xlite, I don't have g729. Same with the standard edition of Zoiper.

9. jessie

Hi,

To obtain G.729 codec for xten and zoiper, you need to purchase the licensed version. I purchased eyebeam with g.729 codec for 10 bucks and that was 5 years ago.. :laugh:

Cheers,

Jessie

10. ericng

Thanks for everyone's help. It is the problems of my xlite softphones not supporting the g729. Purchased copy of eyebeam (which supporting the g729) and it works good.