Cisco 79XX Support

Discussion in 'IP Phones' started by Asadullah, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Asadullah

Hello Community Members,

Iam new to elastix open source pbx

I have installed elastix 5.0 and I have bunch of cisco 7906,7912,7940,7941,7960,7970G and By default Cisco VoIP phones come configured for Call Manager, which uses the ‘Skinny’ protocol – SCCP and elastix support SIP but the 7906/7912 and 7940/60 can be reconfigured to use SIP (recommended for use with Asterisk) and I do not know the process if some one can share the sip firmware for these models and the steps how to reconfigured them so that it can work our elastix PBX.

Thanks in advance

2. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

3. Asadullah

Thanks for the reply so can you recommend some sip phone from a vendor where I can just connect them and register to elastix and I have hear from a friend about Polycom VXX 600 and cisco tandberg e20 just connect and point them toward elastix then it is registered without any headache because they are pure sip phone..

Thanks in advance

4. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

5. Asadullah

except the mentioned phone in the link https://www.elastix.org/supported-sip-phones/
    Just want to know that we would like to have phone sets in our office while purchasing the phone to what specific attribute should I look in order to work with elastix 5 pbx because we are mostly interested in polycom and cisco tandberg e20.furthmore, you mentioned that phones such as 7940, 7941, 7960, 7961 are end of life versions and have limitations using Elastix 5 so I have them now if you I load sip firmware in them so does it register with elastix 5 work fine for our clients.

thanks

6. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

Polycom and Cisco Phones can only be used in the same local LAN of PBX.

The Cisco phones that you already have are end of life models, it means no more new firmware and no support. You can still use them, just follow the steps in the documentation.

Polycom phones have limitations too, you can check all this information by clicking the links that I provided.

Have a great day!

7. Asadullah

8. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

Hi Asadullah, you need to confirm that information directly with the brand. With the PBX you can integrate any SIP phone, if it supports SIP protocol then you can use it.

However bear in mind the model of phone Cisco IP Video Phone E20 has been not tested and we can not confirm a total compatibility with the PBX.

If you want a device fully supported with the PBX then check again the link shared with the supported phones.

Other models/brands we can not warrant that the phone will work at 100% with the PBX.

Have a great day!

9. Asadullah

Thanks a lot for the support and it has been a great community

10. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

You are welcome!