Central Voicemail

Discussion in 'General' started by rcastaldo, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rcastaldo

Hi I need some help with this and I couldn't find a posting for it. Essentially I would like to setup an asterisk system that will have a single server at each location, all interlinked to one central server. But for ease of use I would like to have all voicemails and cdrs recorded on the central server. The only reason I wish to use multiple servers is to have those servers each deal with the internal calling that will occur at those locations. Please let me know if 1. this is possible, and 2. how would I do this. I am willing to trick the system in simply connecting to the central server as a nfs for voicemail storages as well as pointing all servers to say use the main servers database to store the cdrs, I simply need to know how to do this.

2. rafael

Just an idea that may work, but don't know if it would be a really good idea. For security the first thing you should do is stablish vpns.

For the voicemail you can share: /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/ among all the equipments.

About the database, you would have to hack some files to connect to the other server. Haven done this, but you can ask to the experts in the developers mailing list.

Regards,

Rafael

3. DaveD

In Freepbx module when you have setup your voice mail, go to the extension and where it says ext@default just add all extensions that share the mail box.

It would look like this mailbox=203,206,208,210@default and so on

4. rcastaldo

Okay after some exploring I think I am going to go with the idea of mapping the voicemail box folder on the sub servers to the nfs running on the main server that will hold the voicemails. As far as the cdrs I think I found the conf file to edit to point the asterisk mysql connection to the central servers mysql. I won't be able to try this for at least a month however as we are waiting on the equipment order to be approved. Thank you for the advice, I am hoping this will work, I will post back my results once I have attempted it.

5. asepulveda

For the CDR you can importa the tables from the other servers and combine them and then send them to the principal server , for this you woukd have to make some changes in manager configuration files so you can access your databases from the outside

6. rcastaldo

Sorry guys but the project got pulled from doing it internal so I cannot say if what I thought might work would work. I may find time to do this another time around or do it on spare time but for now it sits idley, hopefully someone will experiment with this idea and be able to tell me if it can work.