CD won't install elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by eiger3970, Apr 29, 2009.

1. eiger3970

When I load the downloaded CD to install elastix, it won't auto run. I have set the CD to auto run but it won't. I can access the D drive which displays the folders of the elastix cd. When I open the elastix folders, none will install the elastix program.

I'm trying to run my old laptop as a server for Asterisk or elastix, but can't get this 1st basic step sorted out??? Please help a keen beginner to PBX.

Toshiba Satellite 2510CDS
    Intel Pentium MMX processor 266MHz
    64.0 MB or RAM
    Local Disk (C:) 9.35 GB with 4.24 GB free space.
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002

2. Bob

Bob

First of all, you need to boot using the CD (e.g. not try and load it via Windows). You need to be aware that if it commences an install (you will get a warning before this occurs), it will wipe the hard drive to install itself (e.g. your Windows XP and any data will be eradicated).

To boot the from CD, you will probably need to change a setting in your BIOS to tell it to try and boot from CD. To remember if you can boot from CD on 266Mhz Laptop, is really stretching my brain cells, so this could be an issue in itself. So if you can't boot from CD, then it is not worth trying.

This brings us to probably what is even a more important issue. I suspect that your hardware will not be upto handling Elastix. Elastix has grown, Asterisk has grown and I am reasonably confident that 64Mb memory is not enough. An absolute minimum would be 256Mb. I am pretty confident that a 266Mhz is not enought either

To quote some info on the Elastix pages

Minimum requirements
    * CPU x86 of 500MHZ and 256MB RAM.
    * network card Ethernet of 10/100 Mb/s.

So if your experience is not that good, then I recommend that you look for some newer hardware, at least that meets the minimum specifications, otherwise you are probably doomed from the start.

Regards

Bob

3. eiger3970

I'm setting up Elastix.
    I cannot load Elastix...what am I doing wrong? I've checked Google and Elastix help with installation, but no luck?

I've entered the Elastix boot CD with which I downloaded from www.elastix.org, 'Elastix Distro 1.5.2 Stable (32bits) on one pc with Jaunty Jackalope (Ubuntu 9.04) and the pc doesn't recognise the CD at all (no media found, eventhough I just installed Jaunty Jackalope fine from a CD).
    My 2nd pc with Windows XP reads the Elastix CD and opens up the Elastix files folder.

4. donhwyo

The drivers on the cd are to blame. They are not compatible with your hardware. You could fix the cd or install from http or ftp or nfs or if your nic wont work hard drive. I posted how I did it in the install forum for a dell 105 that wouldn't work. As Bob said find some better hardware.

Don

5. eiger3970

Thanks donhwyo. Do you have a link to your post, as I can't find it on how to install elastix for a dell 105?

6. virusbcn

If you have problems with hardware drivers, use a Centos 5.3 and install it, after you can install Elastix amount this.
    I hope this can help you

7. donhwyo

8. husaints

I have the same problem, the PC just wont boot from the Elastix 1.5.2 32Bit Stable CD. When I try to access the CD through my windows PC no files show up. I tried it on 2 pcs and same result. I thought the CD would not have been burnt probably, and ended up burning 3 CDs with the same result again.

One thing to note the 64Bit Stable version works just fine. Any light on this pls?

Thanks,

9. virusbcn

I have the same experience with a new hardware too, i think this is a problem in computers with AHCI SATA only, maybe all have the same problem with new computers, it's ok ???

10. donhwyo

Does it look like the disk has anything burned on it? You should be able to tel by comparing to blank disk. If so try a centos disk and switch to the elastix disk at the boot promt. I don't think the cd will be locked yet.

Don

11. husaints

I dont think it is limited to new Hardware, I even tried in on an old machine with ATA drives, and I get the same result. CD wont boot.

As for the CD being burnt properly, Yes there are burnt marks, and I burnt 3 different CDs all the same wont boot, but the 64Bit version works fine on the first burn. So this problem is limited to the 32 bit version only.

I am going to try to boot with the CentOS and then switch the CD and try as suggested by Don and post back if it was any good.

HTS.

12. donhwyo

The 32 bit worked for me, I was having problems with 64bit. Don't remember if there is a checksum posted for the download but you may want to check. I am out of the office for the weekend so can't get one but maybe someone else can.

Don

13. husaints

Swapping the elastix 32bit did not work. I get the following error:

isolinux: Disk Error 32 xxxxx
    Boot Failed.

I am downloading the ISO image again.

14. eiger3970

Well, I've tried the Centos 5.3 and that does start to boot, however it brings up some error 'not enough memory' (I'm pretty sure the pc has enough memory though...not time for stats right now before I go to work) and stays in DOS mode repeating the error. I'm going to try copying only the elastix 'boot cd' iso image onto a CD and see if this boots. It wouldn't boot from a USB stick.

15. husaints

Ok I downloaded a fresh copy, and burnt it. Made sure the CD was burnt on a low speed and verified the copy after burn, and now it works!

Elastix installed with no problem. Seems I had a faulty download, maybe everyone facing a problem should try downloading again and burning the image properly.

16. eiger3970

Well, Centos won't load due to not enought memory, so I might try and uninstall Ubuntu which has taken up some room. Something I did also on the Elastix CD was I burnt just the boot.iso CD image. I put this boot only CD into the 2nd pc, and it started to boot!

Yes, but then it asked for the elastix CD...guess what...I put the original elastix cd in and it's not recognised.

I think I'll try using a USB stick, then uninstall Ubuntu to make some room for Centos, and then maybe this Elastix CD will start...I wish there was an easier way for those getting started with Elastix by testing it on old pcs ;-(

17. eiger3970

No go on the pc which really isn't too old.
    2.4 Ghz pentium 4
    256 RAM
    32Gb hard drive
    8GB free

Centos refuses to boot with I/O logic error of some sort.

I'm now downloading pc wizard to get more spec off the old pc to find out why it refuses to boot elastix.

18. eiger3970

OK, so here's the stats: maybe someone can help why Elastix won't boot?
    PC System Summary:

Manufacturer: IBM Corporation
    Mainboard: IBM IBM
    Chipset: Intel i845G
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 @ 2400 MHz
    Physical Memory: 256 MB (2 x 128 DDR-SDRAM)
    Video Card: Radeon 7000
    Hard Disk: IC35L040AVVA07-0 (40 GB)
    CD-Rom Drive: LITEON CD-ROM LTN486S
    Monitor Type: Samsung SyncMaster - 17 inches
    Network Card: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX: Version 9.0c

19. eiger3970

Hi Elastix forumers,
    can anyone tell me if this motherboard server might work for elastix?
    Supermicro X7DCA-L M/B with intel 5100
    Product Description:
    1. Dual Intel® 64-bit Xeon® Quad-Core or
    Dual-Core, with 1333 / 1066 MHz FSB
    2. Intel® 5100 (San Clemente) Chipset

3. Up to 48GB 667/533MHZ DDR2 ECC
    Register SDRAM

4. Dual Intel® 82573L Gigabit
    Ethernet Controllers

5. 6x SATA2 (3 Gbps) Ports via
    ICH9R SB Controller

6. 1 (x16) PCI-e, 1 (x8) PCI-e,
    1 (x4) PCI-e (using x8 slot),
    1x PCI 33MHz slots

7. High Definition 7.1 Channel Audio

8. XGI Z9s Graphics with 32 MB
    DDR2 memory

9. 10" x 10" boad size

MicroATX DDR2 Reg. ECC Xeon Quad-Core / Dual-Core Workstation / Server Board

Thanks.

20. eiger3970

Well, here's the latest.

On Saturday I tried 10 pcs and not one would load the Elastix boot cd which I loaded on my 1st pc at home. The 1st pc at home prompts for partition setup and I want the 2nd pc for elastix anyway.

So, home I went and tried downloading another elastix boot cd. This time the boot cd did load on the 2nd pc!

...but, now it prompts for a 'kickstart file' which can't be found. I'm now searching the forum for 'kickstart' help, and it looks pretty damned hard from what I found. Anyway...here goes another night of hard work to one day get elastix working. (someone told me elastix was easier than asterisk due to the gui...but I'm losing my faith).

p.s. I tried booting from a USB stick but the 2nd pc won't recognise or boot from that ;-(

Wish me lots of luck.