Can't send or receive mail

Discussion in 'General' started by rwbosveld, Feb 7, 2010.

1. rwbosveld

Hi,

I have a problem with the postfix mailserver. My setup:

- Elastix 1.6stable installed on a Xen VPS
    - Own domain ( in this post referred to as mydomain.tld)
    - Telephony etc works great, no problems there
    - Voicemail to e-mail works (so sending mail from my VPS is no problem, it isn't an ISP problem/limitation)

The integrated e-mail doesn't work. I can't send or receive mail. The MX DNS settings are configured correctly. I followed the Elastix without tears manual for setting up e-mail in Elastix.

When I send a mail from my gmail to my Elastix mail account I get this bounced back:

How should I proceed? It seems to be looking for an account with domain 'example.com', but there isn't one. :S

2. dicko

Did you set your network up either , Elastix -> system -> Network , or the more traditional way, to reflect your host and domain name.

3. rwbosveld

Yes, that's the first thing I did. Hostname is my domainname.

4. dicko

Then I would go straight to the horses mouth and edit

/etc/postfix/main.cf

to override whatever (or whoever :) ) is not doing its job correctly

5. rwbosveld

Using webmin I finally found out the problem. It's the virtual domain paths. Those redirected everything to the @example.com domain. Problem solved! :lol:

6. danardf

Hi you are lucky. Because, I can send any mail, but, impossible to receive any mail.
    Like you, even if I modify the domain name instead of the useless example.com. :angry:
    And this since the 1.6! Grrrrr
    Today, no way, no explanation. :(

Of course, I ask me, why there's example.com, then it use another domain !
    It must have some config problems from Elastix.

Regards

7. Patrick_elx

I'm in the same boat, I've lost inbound email since sometime around version 1.5

I've tried to change many settings in the main.cf but without success.
    As it was not a critical issue for me at that time I did not want to waste more time on it, but I would be glad to understand where I screwed up.

8. rwbosveld

You have to edit /etc/postfix/virtual

Edit: I have a new problem. I tried setting up IMAP and SMTP. Now my SMTP server is unresponsive. I can't send mail. Not even via webmail.

9. rwbosveld

Receiving mail is also not possible. The mailserver is completely unresponsive. I can make a connection through Telnet, but it doesn't respond to any command :woohoo:

10. fmvillares

did you correctly change all elastix.example.com referals in your systems...like /etc/hosts, etc
    use apps like webmin to graphically and easily change host name from your system...or in elastix network config panel...

see ya

11. rwbosveld

Yep, that't the first thing I did when faced with the first problem (1st post in this topic). After that everything worked OK. Then I started configuring my mail client voor IMAP and SMTP usage of the postfix server. After that the mailserver is unresponsive.

12. dicko

Might I suggest that from this post:
    quote:

. . .After that everything worked OK . . .

then

. . .Then I started configuring my mail client . . . .After that the mailserver is unresponsive. . .

You might want to restore to when it worked "OK" and then do everything over, the chances of configuring the client breaking the server is unlikely to say the least, you did it, only you know what you did, how can anyone but you fix it?

bemusedly

dicko

13. rwbosveld

My thoughts exactly. I can't find a reason why a mailserver would cease functioning after a client connects to it. I already reversed my steps, but whatever I do, the mailserver is still unresponsive. I already deleted the account from my mailclient (Apple Mail). Rebooting my elastix server isn't helping either. Also restarting the postfix mailservice isn't helping. I can connect to the mailserver, but that's it.

14. fmvillares

try to install webmin or other program to see all postfix/sendmail configs and look if something is wrong in there...i think some config get "confused" in config...
    see ya

15. rwbosveld

I already installed webmin. It must be one of the configs. I'll try to revert them to the original configs. Maybe that'll help.

16. danardf

A way...
    Install an old version like a 1.3.2. Take the postfix files config and try to put this config into the 1.6 version with webmin.
    With the 1.3.2, I'm almost sure that's working.

17. rwbosveld

With the original configs back in place I'm back at the first problem. I'm now positive that it's a bug in Elastix 1.6
    Every account I make refers to an 'example.com' domain. I have to manually correct them via Webmin Postfix server 'virtual domain'. But even if I change 'example.com' to 'localhost', the mail still doens't get delivered. (user not found)

127.0.0.1 seems to be working, but now the maillog shows problems with spamd. It fails to connect. The spamd is running. This is getting more and more confusing.

18. fmvillares

did you have latest elastix version 1.6-14??? and latest updates with yum upgrade -y??? i dont have this "bug" in my sistems.

see ya

19. rwbosveld

Hmm, I have Elastix 1.6-13. I'll try updating it!

Edit:

Ok, Elastix is now updated to 1.6-14. It still has the 'bug' of adding 'example.com' as the domainname in virtual domains.

20. fmvillares

mmm i will have a fresh vm install and a dyndns mail server domain to test my system...wait a few days and i will have another answer..
    see ya