Can't get NIC driver installed

Discussion in 'General' started by vpeppers, Oct 5, 2010.

1. vpeppers

Okay, all you Linux gurus. Help me out on this one.

I just purchased a Shuttle XS35-701, which is an Atom powered box, which draws 40W of power. It looks like it is going to make a great Asterisk appliance. My only problem is that Elastix doesn't recognize my network card. It is a JMicron JME260. JMicron has a "driver" on its web site. There are two versions for Linux: 1.0.5, available as a tar archive, and 1.0.6, in a rar archive. I have downloaded both a tried to install both. I get the same errors on either one.

The instructions say to expand the archive, and to change to the proper directory. Then is says to "make install" I have done this multiple times. I get a series of errors:
    Code:
    make[1]]: Entering directory 'usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-194.3.1.el5-x86_64'
          CC [m] /root/jme-1.0.6/jme.o
    In file included from /root/jme-1.0.6/jme.c:41:
    /root/jme-1.0.6/jme.h:415:error:redefinition of 'ip_hdr'
    Include/linux/ip.h:109:error:previous definition of 'ip_hdr' was here
    /root/jme-1.0.6/jme.h:420:error:redefinition of 'ipv6_hdr'
    Include/linux/ipv6.h:199:error:previous definition of 'ipv6_hdr' was here
    /root/jme-1.0.6/jme.h:425:error:redefinition of 'tcp_hdr'
    Include/linux/tcp.h:169:error:previous definition of 'tcp_hdr' was here
    make[2]: ***[/root/jme-1.0.6/jme.o] Error 1
    make[1]: ***[_module_/root/jme-1.0.6] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory 'usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-194.3.1.el5-x86_64'
    make: ***[all] Error 2

After I run this, there is no jme.ko. I have no idea why not. I don't know what to do about it. Has anyone installed this JME260 NIC? Is there anyone who can help me?

Please don't suggest that I just put another NIC in the machine. It is built onto the motherboard, and has no slots to put another one into.

2. corvette1972

3. vpeppers

I went to the elrepo site, and found a forum article on my NIC. I followed what it said, and downloaded the rpm file. I ran the command rpm -Uvh kmod-jme-1.0.6.1-1.el5.elrepo.x86_64.rpm. I got a whole bunch of error messages, all reading like this:

kernel(rhel5_xxxx_ga)=[whole bunch of numbers] is needed by kmod-jme-1.0.6.1-1.el5.elrepo.x86_64

where xxxx was different for each line. This is where I went to the CentOS site for help. They ultimately said that the kernel is a respin of the CentOS disk, and that they couldn't help me because they didn't know what had been changed.

4. Lee Sharp

5. vpeppers

I found my problem. As best as I was able to determine, the CentOS is the latest build (5.5). What I was doing wrong is that I had gotten the wrong rpm file. I had the one for Xen, not the standard. When I found that, I downloaded the correct version, and it installed fine. Thanks to all who chimed in. B)

6. st4rnin3

I am looking to buy one of these Shuttle boxes... how has it worked for you for Asterisk?