Cannot Pick up Incoming Calls

Discussion in 'General' started by Sandan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Sandan

I've read through all the posts I can find here and the docs and I know I'm close but close isn't enough.

Elastix/Asterisk isn't seeing the inbound calls. I get "the number you dialed not in service", the call never makes it to my pbx to be routed. If I reboot my old Asterisk server calls work fine.

It appears I am messing up uje registration with Broadvoice but I can't figure out how.

Registry String = 480xxxxxxx:password@sip.broadvoice.com/480xxxxxxx

User Context = 480xxxxxxx

username=480xxxxxxx
    user=480xxxxxxx
    type=user
    secret=password
    nat=yes
    insecure=very
    host=sip.broadvoice.com
    fromdomain=sip.broadvoice.com
    allow=ulaw&alaw

Am real confused. As some others have found outgoing is fine. In monitoring asterisk with "asterisk -rvvvvvvvv" I get nothing on inbound which makes me think my registration is buggered

2. Sandan

Sorry for the smily, that's what it decided to display for : + p

3. dicko

"the number you dialed not in service" is almost certainly coming from your elastix box and probably because you don't have an inbound route set to handle it, I suggest you set up a catchall inbound route before you go further.

4. Sandan

That helps narrow it down.

I thought I did have a catch all route but I need to recheck with that in mind.

Would the Asterisk console see anything in that case ? As it didn't I assumed the message from from the telecom.

5. dicko

You'll get the most information by

set verbosity 99
    set debug 99

from CLI

lot's of stuff and it goes fast, sometimes it's easier to examine /var/log/asterisk/full (post partum)

6. rafael

or you can read /var/log/asterisk/full live with tail:
    tail -f /var/log/asterisk/full

7. dicko

absolutely,

or tail -1000 /var/log/asterisk/full|less for the last 1000 lines in a search-able fashion.
    (I believe you still need to set the verbosity and debug level in the CLI first though)

add

sip debug ip sip.broadvoice.com

at the CLI for even more detail

and I hate those idiotic smileys too!!

8. Sandan

Yep I know tail, been working on Linux boxes for years.

However the debug out was shall we say a tad confusing, might as well have been written in Greek.

Try to create a new catch all route this morning

9. Sandan

Ok I 'think' this confirms the call is getting through but not being routed.

Now I need to figure out why, I added a few lines around the relevant one in case there was usful info there

10. Sandan

Found more info in log, is pretty meaningless to me except I think it shows the call being answered.

11. wiseoldowl

Okay, let's start from scratch. What do you have in you PEER settings? In most cases where people have trouble with incoming calls, we find that the USER settings aren't necessary and aren't even being used. I would suggest you start over from scratch with your trunk configuration, and this time concentrate on your PEER details, but make sure there is a context=from-trunk statement in there. Your registry string looks fine, but make sure you have an Inbound Route for DID 480xxxxxxx and no CID. Also you probably want a disallow=all ABOVE your allow= statement (and if the CLI keeps showing strange messages about codecs, try making a separate line for each allowed codec, e.g. disallow=all followed by allow=ulaw and allow=alaw (not saying the way you did it is wrong, just trying to eliminate possibilities of problems here). One other thing, the insecure statement has changed in Asterisk 1.4, you should now use insecure=port,invite instead of insecure=very.

One thing is for sure, you can work on this for weeks and it will never work without a proper context= statement, which in this case will probably need to be in the PEER settings (since they are probably treating you as an extension rather than a trunk, in which case only the peer settings are used).

12. Sandan

Trunk Name Broadvoice

13. Sandan

wiseoldowl wrote:
    context=from-trunk [/quote]

Ok I know this is dumb question but exactly what do you mean.

In my existing Asterisk setup [done by long gone buddy] "context=from-broadvoice" is in the peer setup, are you saying I need that ?

I assumed it was a custom named context in Asterisk, I don't understand what the 'from-broadvoice" means. Does it have to be a name of the provider or the name of the trunk or .... ?

I know this sounds dumb but I am clearly lacking some contextual knowledge [if you pardon the pun]

14. wiseoldowl

Okay, try this in your PEER settings (and fill in the xxx's appropriately):

user=480xxxxxxx
    username=480xxxxxxx
    type=peer
    secret=xxxxx
    qualify=yes
    nat=yes
    insecure=port,invite
    host=sip.broadvoice.com
    fromuser=480xxxxxxx
    fromdomain=sip.broadvoice.com
    disallow=all
    allow=ulaw&alaw
    context=from-trunk

Temporarily remove everything from your USER context and USER settings.

The context= statement tells Asterisk where to send incoming calls. You will understand this better as you get more familiar with Elastix, FreePBX and Asterisk, but for now all you need to know is that in FreePBX incoming calls almost always go to the from-trunk context. Of course if you are using raw Asterisk then you can name contexts whatever you want, but in FreePBX and Elastix it's from-trunk (unless for some reason you need to insert some "shim code" in extensions_custom.conf, and you don't need to worry about that yet).

15. Sandan

Found this in log, more to follow in a few mins

16. Sandan

I also found the following.

If I put "context=from-broadvoice" into the peer definition, Broadvoice rejects the call and transfers it to my alternate phone #. Peer [outgoing] is named 'broadvoice'.

All other combination of that have the same # not in service result

17. Sandan

Ah now I see what you are asking for

18. Sandan

And the crowd goes wild.

Thank you sir, you are a lifesaver.

The trick is nothing in the user context. I was fooled by my old raw asterisk setup, I didn't do it but have been using it for a couple of years. Now I can ditch it.

Thanks once again

19. wiseoldowl

You're welcome. Glad you got it working!

20. wiseoldowl

One other hint, if you have any problem with incoming or outgoing touch tones, try adding:

dtmf=auto
    dtmfmode=inband

You may have to play around with those a bit but the main thing is that when you dial out you want to be able to control other IVR's and when people call you they need to be able to control your IVR (if you use one). But those two settings have worked well with other providers.