Can we have a new or additional Poll on home page

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Bob

Bob

Rafael, in the absence of any polling ability in the Forums, is it possible to ask for another poll to be placed on the home page.

The interest is for myself generally, but I am sure others would be interested as well. I am interested in the environment that most Elastix systems are placed in for purposes of future direction relating to addon tools and applications. E.g. I have a couple of embryo/concept projects that are at a stage of being planned for final design.

The quandary is that some of these are "live" programs which are better suited to running the tools on a Windows based environment (some it partially due to my better Rapid Application Design skills on a Windows environment). This does not preclude access from Macs or Linux, as this will be a server style application with a Web 2.0/Ajax Web Interface capability as well (two tier).

Also I have a couple of modules for Freepbx for environments with no PC's, and wondering if it is worth closing them off and releasing them, which the poll would answer with option 5.

So the poll that would be useful would be

Question: What network environment is Elastix PBX installed in?

1) Windows
    2) Macintosh
    3) Linux
    4) Single desktop/workstation
    5) By Itself - no network

If you don't think this is worthwhile, I understand, just very interested....

Regards

Bob

2. donhwyo

Hm don't see my catagory. 7 macs 7 pc 2 windows servers 3 linux servers counting elastix and 3 dual booting to any of the above. Plus a corporate vpn, a local vpn and a legacy phone system migrating to Elastix.

Don

3. rafael

Hi bob,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, not only we can change the poll, but we must change it. Just want to be a bit more sure of what do you mean with this poll.

When you talk about network environment do you mean just the servers or also the pcs where softphone may be?

I would add some options.

6) two or more of the above
    7) other

Waiting for your answear so we can publish the poll.

Regards,

rafael

4. Bob

Bob

Sorry for the delay, have been flat out....

Rafael, thanks for the positive comments on this poll, as I believe it may benefit others as well who are working on projects for Elastix.

Had a look at your comments and donhwyo's and have modified slightly.

Question: What main environment is Elastix PBX installed in?

1) Win Srvr & Win W/S
    2) Win Srvr & Mix W/S
    3) Mac Srvr & Mac W/S
    4) Linux Srvr & Linux W/S
    5) Single Windows W/S
    6) Elastix - standalone
    7) Mix Win/Mac Srvr & W/S
    8) Linux Srvr & W/S
    9) Other

As you will note in the question, I have changed it to main environment e.g. if you have a Windows Server serving file and print services, but have a linux server being used for a database/Web Server, your main environment would be Windows Server & W/S.

You will note that I have increased the categories slightly to cover more. I could add another 10-20 options, but have mainly included what I believe is the general expectation of what is out there based on many years of IT system implementation in both small to medium and corporate companies.

We could change the question to say what is the main file and print network environment that Elastix is installed in, if this makes it clearer.

Your thoughts??

Regards

Bob

5. rafael

I thinks is too complex. The joomla module for polls only allow a sentence to explain the poll. Maybe what we should do is split in two polls.

What is your server enviroment?
    1) Windows
    2) Linux
    3) Mac
    5) BSD
    6) Mix
    7) Other

The second poll could be

What is your terminals configuration?
    1) IP phone
    2) FXS gateways
    3) Softphones
    4) All of the above
    5) Other

Thoughts?

Rafael

6. Bob

Bob

Rafael,

Thanks for that.

I agree with keeping them short, but many may not realise that we asking the server enviroment that the Elastix system is installed in.. The reason for this is that a large number of people access the forums from home, even though Elastix is used in the office. Others may think that it might say what server is Elastix installed on, thinking that there are versions for Elastix for Windows, Mac etc..

Maybe it needs to say what is your Elastix Network environment. Also the question needs to have 8) None to cover for standalone Elastix systems.

On the second poll, it probably needs a better sentence such as
    What are your Elastix endpoints? otherwise the options are fine.

Now, just having one more thought...maybe one more poll...for now or maybe later

What is your main Elastix phone type?
    1) Linksys
    2) Grandstream
    3) Aastra
    4) Cisco
    5) Polycom
    6) SNOM
    7) Atcom
    8) Xlite
    9) Bria/Eyebeam
    10) Zoiper
    11) Mixture of above
    12) Other

The reason for this poll, is that there is still a lot of work to be done on Endpoint Configuration as it is still a mine field for some. Knowing which are the most used phones allows concentration on the most popular first.

Sorry for the delay. Have not had one moment to myself.....

Regards

Bob

7. Chilling_Silence

+1 for the above poll :)
    +1 for Bob's Karma too, its been a bit since Ive done that and he helps out so much, with thought and care in every post :)

8. Bob

Bob

Chilling_Silence,

Thanks for comments and Karma! It's appreciated.

Regards

Bob

9. rafael

done, lets wait 2 weeks for the next poll

10. Bob

Bob

Thanks Rafael,

You have a few polls that you could use now, so keeps it fresh...so no problems on placing them up later...

I am very disappointed however :laugh: , I expected to be the first to Vote, but found someone else had beaten me to it, somebody with a Linux Server environment, now who could that be (as if I didn't know);)

Regards

Bob

11. rafael

It could be anyone, everyone loves linux ;)