Can I turn off Java, and what would that impact?

Discussion in 'General' started by wiseoldowl, Aug 26, 2008.

1. wiseoldowl

We seem to be having a real issue with Java using CPU cycles and memory. Tonight I did "top" from the command line and a good share of the time Java was the #1 resource hog. Shortly thereafter the system went down so hard that it was taking about two or three MINUTES to respond to commands typed in the command line. Needless to say, the next command I typed was "shutdown -r now" and when it came back from the reboot, it worked fine.

My gut is telling me that Java may have a memory leak, at least that's the theory I want to test. But if I disable Java, will everything come crashing down, or anything?

By the way, usually the first thing I notice when the system is acting funny is that Openfire went down. I tried the hint in the thread about adding a memory option of some kind to the line that invokes Openfire (can't recall it offhand) and that keeps it from going down nightly but now it seems like after two or three days it goes down. But even after that, it seems the system just keeps acting flakier and flakier, which makes me wonder if it's really Openfire or something else (like Java).

How do I disable Java temporarily? Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

2. lek

lek Guest

Openfire is the software that is using java. Stopping openfire should should solve your problem. To do this try this command "service openfire stop".

If you want to stop openfire forever (i mean every time your machine is restarted openfire remains down) run the "setup" command and disable "openfire" from the list of services.

3. wiseoldowl

Thanks for that info. I'm starting to think that Openfire is a the root of many issues. The funny thing is, we had it running on our old system and didn't have any problems with it, but from everything I read I get the feeling that it (and in particular, Java) can be pretty memory hungry. Crazy part is that there are only two users of it - I hate to think what might happen if we put any kind of serious load on it!