Can hear self

Discussion in 'General' started by quackers, May 11, 2009.

1. quackers

Users are complaining of an echo effect when making calls, as in they hear their own voice when talking through the handset. Which they do not like.

They are Aastra 9133i's and Elastix 1.5.2 . Any ideas what to change to stop it?

2. rafael

When does the echo occur? When calling throw the PSTN? How are your trunks configure (dahadi?)?

Regards,

rafael

3. vloose

I have a similar issue using Zaptel. I tried DAHDI but it worked about the same so I switched back because my users like to see incoming calls on FOP which doesn't seem to support DAHDI yet.

I think I am getting my problem narrowed down to an internal wiring issue. I have a public and private ethernet on my server. I first started troubleshooting this as a T1 issue but we had agents working from home one evening and they had no calls with echos. I proved this by having agents transfer calls to home agents and the echo would go away, but the echo would follow the caller if the call was kept on the internal NIC.

What now, the, router, switch, or wiring. I am fortunate enough to have a seperate internet connection in the office so I routed one of the one of my agents calls to our external connection using mostly the same wiring, but they are now connecting to the servers external NIC. Problem remained. That eliminates the switch and router. It appears wiring is my only common factor now.

Don't know if you will find the same thing, but it might save you a couple weeks of screwing around with T1 TX and RX gain trying to tweak a problem that doesn't appear to be T1 related at all.

BTW the problem occurs on about 20% of our calls. Agents have the problem but our customers don't hear any issue.

Good luck.

4. quackers

Sorted it. I had to setup an aastra.cfg file on a server and point the phones to it with the following settings.

headset tx gain: -3
    headset sidetone gain: -2
    handset tx gain: -6
    handset sidetone gain: -5
    handsfree tx gain: 0