Can Elastix do this?

Discussion in 'General' started by batfastad, Sep 2, 2010.

1. batfastad

Hi everyone

We're a small business of 15 users (9 internal, 4 remote in UK, 2 remote based in the US) and we have an office move coming up. And rather than paying our current PBX provider £800 to move our existing system (15yr old Meridian Norstar) I was looking to go all VoIP.

I've been looking at a few pre-built hosted PBX services here in the UK but they all seem to have 1 feature that doesn't quite work for us in one way or another.

So here's my plan...

Sign up for a VoIP VPS account with these guys... http://www.europhase.net/services/voip-vps-servers/ and install Elastix so we're basically running our own hosted PBX in a VPS.
    I was looking to use VoipFone.co.uk as our SIP gateway, so no hardware cards are required to convert analogue to SIP. I would also want to route all our outgoing calls through VoipFone as well as their call packages seem decent. I would probably port our main phone number to VoipFone eventually
    Buy a bunch of Snom 821 handsets and hook them all up, with one internet connection in our office dedicated to the phone system. So our e-mail/web traffic doesn't interfere with our call quality.

1) Are the specs of that VPS account (384MB RAM and 20GB HDD) adequate for a 20 user PBX?
    I'm anticipating no more than 5-6 concurrent calls. Our office deals fine at the moment with only 3 incoming lines.

2) Snom 821 hardware IP phones... should they work ok with Elastix?
    I've heard Snom are meant to be some of the best.

3) Is this configuration possible with Elastix?
    1 ringer group containing all extensions, so all phones ring when a call comes in.
    1 central voicemail box, no DDI on extensions, and no voicemail on extensions.
    Voicemail messages e-mailed as attachment to a pre-defined address.
    Customised hold music, basically just a beep every 5s or something would be perfect.
    Differnet ringtone for internal calls, so users know if an internal call is coming in.
    ... this configuration is how our current analogue PBX operates and ideally I'd like to replicate that, but adding the flexibility for users to dial in to the phone system from anywhere!

4) Can Elastix make recordings of calls?
    Many of our users conduct telephone interviews with clients and at the moment they have dictophones linked up to their handsets. Be great if all calls were recorded in Elastix and I could just retrieve a recording as and when they needed it.

5) Can Elastix make SIP presence (on a call, DND, available, not registered), extension number, display name, IP address available to other applications?
    I'd love to have a page on our intranet which refreshes every 30s or so with users SIP presence, extension number, registration status etc.

6) Is it possible to trigger a call over HTTP?
    We have an intranet database which holds all our customer and order information. It would be awesome if there was a way I could make some sort of XML/HTTP request to the PBX, to set up a call from a particular extension to any given number. So when an intranet user clicks a button, their phone rings and when they pick up a call is setup to a particular number provided by the intranet server. So users just click a button on the intranet to setup a call from their VoIP extension number. Whether they're using a hardware IP phone or softphone.
    Is that possible? Or is there currently no mechanism in the SIP standards to do something like that?

Does this all sound like it would work ok?
    Any comments/suggestions on what I've described here?

Cheers, B

2. dicko

Welcome batfastad:

The answer to all your questions is largely yes, please download and read "Elastix Without Tears". It will give you a solid orientation as to how Elastix/FreePBX/Asterisk all fit together, further to that please avail yourself of these fora and the search box, I believe all your questions have already been asked and answered here.

3. batfastad

Ok that's great. At this stage I just wanted to check that everything I was planning was in theory possible.
    I have already started to work my way through that book.

But in terms of hardware requirements, would something like this... http://www.europhase.net/services/voip-vps-servers/
    ... be adequate for a 15 user PBX, max of 5 simultaneous calls?

Or should I be looking somewhere else?

Cheers, B

4. dicko

That should be fine but only experience with this vendor will tell.