Calling back a missed call by using redial

Discussion in 'General' started by richardmace, Dec 1, 2010.

1. richardmace

Hi,
    I'm sure many of you have had this problem before, but we have an issue regarding calling back missed calls in the we use "9" for an outside call, but the number that we have missed of course, doesn't have a prefixed "9".
    What are the best ways of over coming this?

Thanks in advance

Richard

2. haramarcuse

Caller ID system stores the number of the incoming call. From here you can retrieve the number.

3. dicko

If you use the dafault Elastix outbound route edit it so it looks like

9|.

both patterns will then work,
    but more efficiently read a manual or two and then define your outbound routes that are closed and match your normal locale dialpatterns , this will possible save 5 seconds on each call to complete.(in other words, you do not have accept the dial 9+ default rule and your users won't HAVE to dial a 9 first any more either)

4. fraggle4

I would just add that setting up for direct trunk dial without the 9 prefix is something that has to be done in advance. Depending on your locale's numbering scheme, getting it right can be quite fiddly. Care has to be taken so that the numbers you want to send to a trunk don't end up going to internal pbx destinations, such as extensions, ring groups, parking lots etc.

I found it was worthwhile as some users dislike the dial-9-for outside business. And,as Dicko mentioned, if the outbound routes are set up with tight-ish rule-matches, dialing gets snappier, especially on dahdi trunks. The other benefit is that a number can be dialed directly for example,to call back a "missed" call on a phone or to reply to a voicemail message, or even from a click-to call feature on a webpage as long as the number format is correct.
    Although I did this for my main outside line use, which is POTS, I left my other lesser-used trunks,(SipGate and Skype for Asterisk) with prefixes as trying to reconcile these within the dialplan was too difficult.