Caller I.D issue

Discussion in 'General' started by Derek, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Derek

Hi guys kind of a newb here. Basically I have setup 8 trunks with 8 separate DIDs. 6 trunks are emplyess and 2 are main numbers.

What I want to do is have everyone in the office dial out on one of the 6 sip trunks (whichever is available) and have a custom caller I.D (extention caller I.D) but no matter what I do all I get for a caller ID is "Blocked" or "Unknown"

Any Ideas? The system is running on 1.6

2. Bob

Bob

Derek,

You will need to speak to your SIP provider.

This function is very much dependent on their capabilities and the local telecommunications regulations.

With some VSP's they, by default, do not assign a DID, as some companies prefer not to have their DID's (especially if they are using VoIP for outgoing only) displayed

Also some do not accept your DID presentation, unless they have configured the range on their end first to meet the local regulations (to stop phone number spoofing).

Have a chat to them first....

Regards

Bob

3. Derek

Great thanks Bob :) , just fired an email off to our provider. By the way we are using unlimitel.

4. Derek

So I got an email back from unlimitel and they said that the caller ID is setup on the DIDs and that it is a system configuration problem.

These are the steps I took to create the trunk and set a caller i.d..

Add Sip Trunk
    Put the outbound caller I.D between " " and number < >

Then I just copied the unlimitel setup information template they have for trix box setup and then create an outbound route.

I even went as far as programming the caller I.D in each users Outbound Caller ID in the extension menu and still comes up as blocked. If I however check the "use user extension" when I call from a deskset the caller ID shows the extension number.

We have 2 sip trunks at our office as well on elastix and the caller ID works fine :huh:

5. Bob

Bob

The besr way to find out if your system is presenting the Caller ID is by looking at the /var/log/asterisk/full file, and you should see it very clearly present the Caller ID you have implemented. At least this way, you can eliminate ELastix/Asterisk as the source of your issue.

If this is the case and you find it presenting the Caller ID as expected, then it is going to come down to the format that your SIP Provider allows/expects, and then further to that, what their back end main provider allows. They might allow what you are implementing as the CallerID, but the back end provider may not allow it, and replaces it with "blocked".

I would go back to basics and just use a number. That is just a number that matches at least one of the DID numbers provided by your SIP provider - with just a number, do not use quotes or brackets. See if that gets through without coming up as blocked.

If you find that works, you will probably find that they (either the SIP provider or their backend provider) won't support presentation using alphasumerics. To the best of my knowledge in Australia for instance, it is not supported.

I am not sure what you mean by
    Does that mean you have another Elastix system where this works???

Regards
    Bob

6. Derek

Thanks for the reply Bob, I'll check it out next time we go back on-site. Yea we have an older version of elastix on 1.1-6 using the same sip provider and the Caller I.D works fine.