call return + prefix on polycom 500/650

sirbones

Hi All

Here is the issue I am experiencing

Someone externally dials into us, the phone number for example they are calling from is 5651212
When it hits my phone, it shows the same, however I am busy so I dont answer

I then look at my missed calls, locate this number and press redial.

the call can't go out because the prefix I require to dial out of my trunk is 5, thus the number being dialed here is 651212. I get your call can't be completed as dialed

If the number was 8124447 I would get a message that all circuits are busy

Can someone offer some advice how to deal with redials on missed calls etc.

Thanks

dicko

I surmise you are using ZAP trunks as 7 digit CID would be "very unusual" for a VSP.
And that you are in North America as 5[65]51212 wouldn't make sense in most other parts of the world.

You limit yourself by requiring a 5 to be dialed before out bound calls. (traditional PBX use almost exclusively 9 (occasionally 8) you must have had a reason to choose 5 , perhaps you can elucidate)

Whilst a trunk dial pattern can use the + and | prefix to add or strip "most significant digits" I don't believe the outbound orute allows you to use the + (to add the 5 you need).

If you are within the "North American Numbering Plan" ( NANP ) (which is what is called a "closed dialing" country, i.e. all phone numbers are predictable in length)
then all numbers are of the form 1NXXNXXXXXX where 1 is the countrycode NXX is the area code and NXX is the office code and XXXX is the subscriber code.
(X=[0-9], N = [2-9] (Z=[1-9])

depending on where you are most Telcos allow "permissive" dialing, ie, you can prepend your 7 digit code with the area code without "long distance penalty" . (the country code "1" is required or disallowed depending on provider)

I might suggest

OUTBOUND TRUNK dial rule (for NANP calls, (Add 1 at the beginning if pertinent))

<Areacode in 3 digits>+NXXXXXX
NXXNXXXXXX

Thus calls can be dialled just like before the PBX, both "local" (no area code) and "Long Distance" (with area code)
The polycoms will behave correctly. (they store the number internally(or externally by tftp) and I don't think that can be modified)
Further you will be compliant with upcoming regulations that "require" 11(or 10) digit dialing, as in most metropolitan areas already.

jgutierrez

Ok, if you need to use the 5 as a prefix and you need to press 6 additional numbers, I would set up on my outbound routes the following dial pattern:
5+XXXXXX
this way, if you get on you polycom 651212, and you press the redial button, the outbound route will add the 5 as a prefix

dicko

jgutierrez:

Please confirm that

MSD+XXXX

works in in "outbound routes"

from my apriori post:-

Whilst a trunk dial pattern can use the + and | prefix to add or strip "most significant digits" I don't believe the outbound orute allows you to use the + (to add the 5 you need).

Correctly I should have said that ". . . the "outbound orute(sic) allows you to use the + but it is not honored. . . ."

(it won't for me!, just in trunks (FreePBX 2.5.1.1))

sirbones

Hi Dicko

Regarding your first post, I would love to allow direct outbound dialing without prefix, however, they want to continue a prefix for outbound dialing.. I don't really see a benefit to using an initial # to open a line,

I may discuss with them about scrapping the 5 but, I don't see that as an option here.

Regarding the 5+ on outbound dialing, I have attempted and it doesn't appear to work.

if someone dials 5 then any number now, it works great, its just the call back that is the issue / return call

I was thinking an option to prepend a 5 to all incoming from my zap channels would work wonders as anything coming in from-pstn could have the 5 added and it wouldn't impact other services but it appears in elastix / freepbx interface atleast there is no option to prepend on incoming properly

I'm still challenged by this one item, any help would be great...

I have read that I can modify the extensions.conf and add an option for cid adjustment on incoming calls, but, I also know that those files should not be changed outside of the web interfaces as of possible loss of manual changes on update from the web interface

dicko

Well if they want to continue,let 'em "the customer is always right, even when they are wrong"
So how about "permissive rules" that include
5|NXXNNNN
5|NXXNXXXXXX
and
NXXXXXX
NXXNXXXXXX

(they will never know, unless they wait 5 seconds between the seventh and eight digit doing the 5plus dialling, and callbacks to area or office codes that start with a 5 will be delayed by 5 seconds)

p.s.
You can safely edit extensions-custom.conf. it will survive upgrades

sirbones

Hi Dicko

That was the way I was thinking as well...

I also talked to the client, the reason they prefixed in the past was a forced event by their old system.

I asked for reasons why they would want to continue that type of format, answers were short as there really isn't any benefits the way i see it..

So, this being said, for now, I've punched in both options, but, they are deciding now on the dropping of the prefixing.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mai Tuyen