Call pick from any trunk

Discussion in 'General' started by rslrdx, Jan 26, 2009.

1. rslrdx

How can i pick up any incoming call ringing on any trunk?

I know I can dial ** and the extension number to pickup from an extension, but I need to pickup from any trunk.

Thanks

2. wiseoldowl

Okay, I have to ask... how would you even know that a trunk is ringing if it's not ringing an extension? Your question really makes no sense - an incoming trunk call has to have a destination of some type, what is it in your system? You probably can do what you need to do, but nobody's going to be able to explain how until we understand what is happening now (no, that wasn't meant to rhyme).

3. rslrdx

:S

I thought it made sense... here is the scenario

Old ANALOG system

You are in the office alone and on a call already, another call comes in and starts to ring the other phones, once you are a done with the original call you want to answer the second call that is still ringing, you dial *55 and the call gets routed to you no matter what trunk i came in from.

New "Digital" system

Again alone in the office and on a call, second call comes in and rings all other phones, once you are done with the first call you want to answer the other call, what feature do you dial to pickup that call?

Some details:

4 ZAP Trunks
    6 SIP Trunks

4 ZAP extensions
    6 SIP extensions

Calls can come in from any trunk.
    All trunks are routed the same way.

Any better? It seems to me that this is a pretty common feature on analog pbx, just trying to make it work like it did with the old system.

Thanks for the help.

4. donhwyo

I think if you send all incoming into a que then if you hang up it will be ringing your ext and you can simply pick up the call. Or place call on hold and answer new call.

Then why change if you want the old system? :laugh:

Don

5. wiseoldowl

I guess what I am not understanding is, what's wrong with just dialing **+ the number of ANY of the currently ringing extensions? But maybe a callgroup/pickupgroup setup would be more to your liking - to start with, try this: Go to the page for every extension that rings when a trunk call comes in, and put the digit 1 in the callgroup box. If you also want that extension to be able to pick up calls that are ringing on other extensions, then also put the digit 1 in the pickupgroup box. Then when any of the extensions in callgroup 1 ring, any of the extensions in pickgroup 1 can pick up the call by dialing *8# from the phone (note, if it doesn't work you may have to modify the dial plan in the phone or endpoint, since by default it might see * followed by a single digit as an invalid number).

Just so you know, an extension can only belong to one callgroup but can pick up calls from more than one callgroup by specifying multiple callgroup numbers in the pickupgroup text area, separated by commas. So, for example, if you had two bosses and several employees, you could put all the employee extensions in callgroup 1 and the bosses in callgroup 2, and specify 1 as the pickupgroup option for employee phone and 1,2 as the pickupgroup option for the bosses. That way, an employee could answer any other employee's phone, but not a boss' phone, while a boss could pickup a call from any of the phones in either callgroup.

The only caveat to this is that callgroups and pickupgroups are an Asterisk feature, not a FreePBX or Elastix feature. Now and again Asterisk features can be a bit flaky and the thing I recall about this feature is that it would not let you pick up calls across technologies (that is, if a SIP extension was ringing it could not be picked up from an IAX extension). I have no idea if that's been fixed but since most people only use SIP endpoints these days, I would not worry about it too much. I again emphasize that if you set it up properly and yet it doesn't work, it's probably that the phone isn't letting calls to *8 go through. On a Linksys/Sipura phone or device you could add something like *8S4 to the dial plan (remember to separate it from other part using the | character), which if you hit *8 without the # would wait four seconds to see if you are really dialing a *8x format code. On other phones you may need to do something similar if it won't pass *8.

Edit: It appears you could change the code to something else if *8# won't go through, by going to the Feature Codes page and changing the code associated with "Asterisk General Call Pickup" (under the "Core" section). Might be easier than changing the dial plan in all the phones! :D

6. rslrdx

Hi guys,

wiseoldowl - I cant just dial **+ext and pickup the call, I tried it, at least I cant with incomming calls, I can if its internal.

As for the callgroup/pickupgroup I did set them to "1" but I didn't see that option for the zap channels.

I dont see that feature anywhere in the config (via web), and I don't think the a single digit function would be a problem as to transfer a call from one extension I can just dial *2 , but I could be totally wrong.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the cross tech problem you mentioned, at my desk i have 3 extensions just for testing, and one is a ZAP ext, a SIP ext and a IAX ext, i was able to pickup calls between from them without a problem, but I cant pickup an incoming call no matter where it rings...

BTW, THANKS FOR THE FULL ANSWER !!!! I participate in several forums, and while most answers can be short, its nice to see a full answer like this, where not only you mention your thoughts but takes the time to explain functionality with a great deal of details ! Most of the time i see people being told to look elsewhere for help. :)

Don -
    Well, its not that simple... the thing is, elastix, or any other asterisk based pbx is meant to do (as far as i understan), is to do everything an analog pbx does and then some.

It just seems odd that while it goes far beyond on some basic features and also have awesome features an analog pbx doesnt, when it comes to the very basic, it cam bit a bit flaky. I gotta give you credit, as i know the hardest things are the simple things, and it may just be my lack of knowledge... but hey, go ahead and share what you know! :p

7. wiseoldowl

Well, this is one of those cases where it "works for me", but then I probably don't have nearly as complex a system as you do. But I can place a call from an "outside" number, have it come in and go through an IVR and then ring an extension, and then pick the call up on another extension. If you can't, I'm afraid I really don't know why that would be the case.

You said, "As for the callgroup/pickupgroup I did set them to "1" but I didn't see that option for the zap channels." I don't have any Zap extensions so can't help much there, but I did note that in the /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf that ships with FreePBX there is this section:

; Ring groups (a.k.a. call groups) and pickup groups. If a phone is ringing
    ; and it is a member of a group which is one of your pickup groups, then
    ; you can answer it by picking up and dialling *8#. For simple offices, just
    ; make these both the same. Groups range from 0 to 63.
    ;
    callgroup=1
    pickupgroup=1

Note that the two lines are uncommented by default, but since this file is not associated with any particular zap extension I have no idea whether it applies to all zap extensions generally. I would say to try commenting those lines out and then adding the callgroup and pickupgroup in the individual zap extension configuration, but you are saying those fields don't appear on the page for a zap extension? Note that it probably wouldn't appear when you first create the extension but after you close and reopen that page, those options should appear. If they don't, it might be worth filing a FreePBX Bug Report. They may have just inadvertently left those fields out of the zap extension configuration page, in which case it might take someone all of about two minutes to add them in.

You said that you could dial *2 to transfer a call, but keep in mind that's while a call in in progress. Normally the phone's dial plan does not affect in-progress calls - it only applies when dialing from a dial tone. You might try temporarily changing the *8 to a *nn type code (* + two digits) on the Feature Code Admin page and see if that makes any difference. I'd be really surprised if there's no way to configure a dial plan in your phone, though - maybe it's under an advanced option or something? But that's all irrelevant if you can use *8# to pickup ANY calls (you say you can pickup calls placed from one extension to another). Maybe it has something to do with with the way a call comes into your system and the path it takes to go to the extension, although that's just grasping at straws. For example, are you using a ring group? Could you test having an incoming route go directly to an extension instead of a group, and see if that makes any difference?

This is a feature that SHOULD work. If we can nail down the exact circumstances under which it doesn't, we might be able to either figure out a workaround, or at least submit a bug report with enough information to allow the problem to be fixed. But just reporting that it's not working will probably cause the ticket to be closed with a "worksforme" code, so we'd have to figure out what's different about your configuration that "breaks" this feature.

And I'm happy you appreciate full answers, a lot of people seem to think I'm too verbose! :rolleyes:

8. rslrdx

Hi, its been a few days already, but I should reply to this.

First, thanks for the help, but i think my answer was the *8 feature, which doesnt apear in the features page in elastix or freepbx.

I dont know why I couldnt find this information before, perhaps I use the wrong search strings on google and even the forums.

I wish I new where this was, I didnt see it.

Right now calls go to a queue, and if no one is there, it goes to a ring group that rings everyone, its a tiny office. for now the *8 feature will do.

Once again i gotta thank you, like you said it should work, and it seems to work, but unfortunatly I couldnt find this information before, and although i will not submit a bug, i might submit a feature request, to include this feature in the features page, or at least have another static page, with a list of the basic standard features, it just seems odd to me that this might be a "core" feature that wasnt mention elsewhere. PLEASE, if I'm being injust about the availability of this information let me know.

9. wiseoldowl

In Elastix, when you click on the PBX tab, in the left-hand menu in the "Basic" section there should be a link called "Feature Codes" - click on it!

If it's not there, click on "Unembedded freePBX" and see if you see it in the left-hand menu there. If you still don't see it, click on "Tools" (small tab at top of column), then Module Admin. Under the "Basic" category see if "Feature Code Admin" is installed and enabled. If not, click on it and install or enable it as necessary.

Anyway, I'm glad we found a workable solution for you!