buttons on IP phones

Discussion in 'General' started by jang, Dec 14, 2009.

1. jang

Hello guys. I'm new to IP PBX. Someone recommended Elastix. I want to know if IP phones with DND (do not disturb), Voice Mailbox buttons actually work as is? At a press of a button, it works?

If IP phones missing the buttons that I need (such as record on demand button), are they programmable so that unused buttons can be assigned as record button? I'm thinking Atcom AT-620 IP Phone (http://www.atcom.cn/high%20resolution/AT620-1.jpg). Does the buttons under the LCD act as soft button on a cellphone, menu dependent?

I don't want to have to memorize a long sequence of presses to activate "forward, conference, auto-answer, etc..."

2. rafael

You should be able to program those buttons, but from the phone web interfase or with some tunning to the Elastix endpoint manager.

Regards,

rafael

3. jang

Hello Rafael,

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean that all IP Phones have web interface? And does Elastix have an Endpoint Manager?

Secondly, a phone that I'm looking at is the Atcom AT-620. It seems on the picture that it has such 3 context based buttons. Is it correct to assume that while the phone is on hook, you can program 3 sets of buttons, such as DND, Intercom, Voice Mailbox, and when it is off hook, you can program Hold, Transfer, and Conference?

Or there's no such thing as on and off hook settings?

The reason I'm asking this is, I am looking at a good IP Phone, and these functions are the ones I use all the time (from key telephone of Panasonic). Do I have to consider buying a phone that comes with lots of buttons already? Or standard ones with context sensitive ones will do? Since it's programmable anyway.