Bugs in Elastix 1.1.2Stable

Discussion in 'General' started by starcomm, Jul 23, 2008.

1. starcomm

I tried to install the original Elastix v1.1Stable - could configure working SIP and IAX extensions but this version would not recognised my TE122B UK PRI Card!

So upgraded and replaced this version with Elastix v1.1.2 Stable (current) now the TE122B is recognised - but the SIP and IAX softphones no longer work or can connect to Elastix sever!!

Looks like someone forgot to compile a module or two!

Can you fix it?

Regards

Olly

2. agidi

Its broken out of the box.

I just did two boxes.
    I had to update freepbx, and then fix the symlinks.

And why didn't they publish it with 2.4?

best luck
    A.Gidi

3. starcomm

Thanks for your help Mr Gidi.

As I am a Linux newbie I will need you to break down your instructions for me.

What I have discovered is that by subsequent installations of the same ISO versions. The problems of Softphones and TE122B recognition come and go - really random installs - very weird as I am using the same hardware.

Although the TE122B is recognised the zaptel configuration - by default sets the country code to US instead of recognising the UK settings in the System Default Settings (entered in the PBX tab).

The product seems too unstable to go into production

What do you think?

Best Regards

Olly

4. Bob

Bob

Olly & A.Gidi,

If you have not done so, please take a read of Elastix Without Tears guide as it may assist and explain many things.

The Elastix distribution is not broken out of the box. Whilst some mistakes are made from time to time, generally the Stable ISO's are generally that - Stable.

If you are getting random installs, then I would generally look at two areas.

1) A possible bad write of the ISO image, or some sort of alignment issue/CD quality issue, especially when writing on one CD Drive and reading on another. Painful as it is, eliminate this by doing a slow 4x or 8x write, instead of the normal 32x write. Also do a checksum/CRC on your image and confirm it downloaded correctly

2) The other issue is your hardware itself. This is not to say it is faulty, but one of the components or the BIOS itself is causing an issue. This is a definite issue and may be related to the SATA mode that your system is using.

One of the other problems that you mentioned is the fact that it would discover the TE122B one time and not another. This may not be directly related to the Elastix system per se. The Digium hardware, especially the TE122 is extremely fussy in relation to the interrupts, especially if you have it sharing interrupts with the ATA controller. The results are quite odd and very hard to confirm what is going on.
    May I direct you to http://www.elastixconnection.com/index. ... &Itemid=77 which is how to solve TE122 stability problems. Whilst your issue may not be exactly the same, it will give you some areas to look at.

This issue is not limited just to Elastix, but Trixbox and I assume other Asterisk related distro's.

Again this item is on all Distro's. You need to set this manually yourself in the zaptel.conf if you do not live in the US. I understand your statement relating to the setting in Freepbx, and have had the same thought myself in that it would be good to link the General Page country selection with the Zaptel.conf settings, but as the Asterisk is one product and Freepbx another and Elastix hardware detection, it needs someone to come up with a good idea.

There are many other things that need to be looked at and this (country setting) probably is a minor one but needs a fair bit of work to make sure that it functions correctly without breaking a major component of the system.

As for Freepbx 2.4. As Elastix has made a number of modifications to the underlying system to implement more advanced features including the more cohesive GUI, there are modifications required to implement the Freepbx 2.4. There are a few posts on this system about 2.4 and what you need to do to get it working, but considering 2.4 provides no major jump forward in design or functionality, it again is not a priority especially in the quest for a STABLE system. As you can imagine, implementing 2.4 as the standard requires a large amount of testing as the freepbx functionality is again a core part of the system

Did you mention the word production? On my end ...1.1-2 systems in production (10), pre 1.1-2 many many more...all stable as a rock with over half of them running TE120 and TE122 cards. And I am sure that many other users have many, many more in production.

Hope some of this helps you both.

Regards
    Bob<br><br>Post edited by: Bob, at: 2008/07/24 19:10

5. starcomm

Thanks for your input Bob

But - what I can say having installed FreePBX, PBX-in-a-Flash, TrixboxCE, Trixbox Pro, Asterisk on Centos v5.2, Elastix v 1.1 Stable, Elastix v1.1.2 Stable is that the only product which installs correctly first time was TrixboxCE. Unlike Elastix it worked first time, and installed automatically it correctly configured the UK Country code and correctly identified the TE122B. Also its SIP and IAX extensions worked first time.

Whilst Elastix is a potentially great product - and incorporates many additional useful features. It simply doesnt work out of the box for a newbie and so many will walk away disappointed after struggling in my case for weeks trying to get its basic functionality to work. I am confused by the inclusion of FreePBX which appears to replicate everything in Elastix and two different CRM products (Sugar etc).

Maybe the focus should be on consolidation and making distros that work anywhere in the world "straight -off-the- ISO" That way the uptake worldwide would be massive and Elastix would become the No 1 distro which it deserves in the meantime at least in the UK looks like I have to revert to TrixboxCE at least for now. Before I do - will try Elastix v1.2 Alpha (at least I expect bugs in that version) to see if detection of cards and functionality works.

Best Regards

Olly

6. Bob

Bob

Olly,

I agree with you, the Elastix distro is by no means perfect but very few are, especially where they need to cater for such a vast array of hardware which is a massive variable in itself. You have pointed out one area (Unembedded Freepbx and embedded freepbx), which definitely needs possibly more direction.

Where the Elastix developers were heading with this is to try and bring everything into one homogeneous GUI with granular security. It is probably a little ambitious, especially as Freepbx is a very fluid product, but what they have done is created the embedded version which covers most standard PBX functions, and I have to admit, 80% of the configuration that I do on most systems is done via the Embedded version.

I also agree with you, I feel that you are correct that a few consolidation/directional releases are probably warranted to solidify the product and Elastix would definitely benefit from this.

However having agreed on most of your points, which are quite valid, the one main concern which I believe is also quite valid is the hardware, and the expectation that the distro will work with all hardware which realistically cannot be expected. You have clearly pointed out the number of distro's that you have tried and said that only one would work out of the box was TrixboxCE. Straight off the bat, I would possibly say that to have that many distro's fail to meet the operational/functional expectations, would possibly point to the type of hardware in use. This is not to say your hardware is cheap and nasty. You can also select the latest motherboard and find the distro will not function as the drivers are not built into the Linux release. So it does require a little work. I think the only time that they can guarantee the distro installing is actually providing a model of machine on which it was tested with the model of card and revision number, and BIOS Version, amongst many others.

As we build Elastix Based systems, before we accept any change in hardware system design, we thoroughly test the lastest Elastix stable build, testing all functions, noting the BIOS revisions, the network card used, the memory used, what the interrupt counts are after boot, and note any increase after 24 hours, and even down to the slot being used for the E1 card. Our system builds are by no means cheap, selecting the components based on experience and knowledge, which includes knowledge of the Network chipset, the Interrupt chipset. Again we are by no means perfect, as you have probably seen from the article I referred you to, but that has been the only time we have failed to confirm changes to the specification (which was a BIOS revision). However the same hardware is in use, just correctly configured in BIOS.

Anyhow, just trying to balance the picture. Unlike application software that normally runs on an operating that has all the base level functionality sorted out, a distro has to contend with being the operating system and the software that runs on it.

Regards
    Bob

Now to get back to trying to get my Vista workstation to talk to my printer. Worked ok on XP....;)

7. Bob

Bob

Olly,

While I still standby what I have written, including mistakes can still be made, I stand totally corrected regarding your issue with Extensions not registering.

1.1-2 Stable has got an issue with the sip.conf file and iax.conf file. They do not contain the include files at the end. Whilst it is a major issue (e.g. extensions will not register full stop, especially to newbies, it is actually only minor error that needs to be corrected.

The reason why many may not have realised, is it is corrected by restoring the freepbx backup, which many, including myself, have most likely done

I was building a new system on the weekend to test purposes and came across the issue, as it looks like others have done as well.

To give credit due to the Elastix developers, this is the first time a major fault has occurred in the ISO image (major meaning basic functionality of the PBX).

However, as quick as I was to dismiss the possibility that the ISO was faulty, just as quick to admit I was wrong.

Regards

Bob<br><br>Post edited by: Bob, at: 2008/07/28 05:41

8. starcomm

Hi Bob

I am glad you were able to replicate the fault - which is serious. Serious enough for newbies like me to be put off using such a potentially great product - which is a shame. Even now - I have been put off enough to re-install Trixbox CE for now.

Most newbies like me know nothing of Linux (or have very limited skills) without detailed step by step instructions from an expert like you - they have no way of correcting these bugs and getting the product to work. So they are forced to move on! Time is money!. I just hope someone can be bothered enough to issue an update that fixes all these issues and is checked properly before release to guys like me!.

I'll keep an eye out for the fix (dont know how long that will be)

Best Regards

Olly

9. chrishopper

I totally agree. I just spent 1/2 a day on a clean install of 1.1-stable only to find my SIP and IAX2 phones don't register. I have a business to run. I don't need this kind of wasted time.

It looks to me like Elastix development needs a clean install as part of their testing methodology. Not everyone will be restoring conf files from a backup.

Chris

10. chrishopper

Correction. Elastix-1.1-2-09jul2008.iso is broken. I had been running Elastix-1.1-Stable-12jun2008.iso for a couple of weeks and it worked find. I am dropping back to the previous version. Better that than going back to Trixbox. I hope the next Elastix release is better tested. I really like this package and would like to stick with it.