Branch Office VoIP Gateway from POTS to VoIP?

Discussion in 'General' started by Suthern, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Suthern

Setup: Our main office will have 16 or so POTS lines coming into it.
    Our BRANCH office has four POTS lines coming into it.

The main office has a bunch of VoIP phones and the VoIP server. The Branch office has two VoIP phones.

The offices are connected via a VPN over the internet, but the latency and jitter when using VoIP over the VPN makes our clients cringe. :(

So my question is, is there some simple device that:
    --Has two POTS line connectors (FXO ports)
    --Has one Ethernet connector (to talk with the VoIP phones at the branch office)
    --Will accept VoIP(ish) calls from our main office PBX system and forward them to the VoIP phones at the branch office?

If so, would Asterisk see the branch office VoIP phones as regular extensions?

I'm trying to avoid having to upgrade our internet connection to a low-latency connection, as the costs are prohibitive.

Has anyone else experiance in this type of setup? It looks kinda like I"m trying to do ISDN/BRI between the PBX and the remote office, using the POTS line as the carrier. :) Would you suggest anything?

2. Suthern

What I'm thinking of doing is setting up two old computers with 3x pci modems in each and just using them as a ppp link between the two offices.

If only we had a lower latency Internet connection. *sigh*

3. Patrick_elx

you have some simple phones (like the siemens c470ip) that has a POTS and a few SIP client connection available on the handset.

You can create basic routing for outgoing calls (like extensions number will go through sip, and full PSTN number will go through POTS).

You have some appliances (like some linksys) that have one or two FXO and one or two FXS and will do the same.

But if you have a little bit more money install a small fanless computer (atom based for instance) and an FXO/FXS card. You will be able to have a full elastix with much more features.