Bounty ideas? New features?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chilling_Silence, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Chilling_Silence

Hi all,

Was talking with Rafael earlier today about the idea of Bounties.

After the GSoC and my two recent blog posts on OpenVPN & Hotel Room Management, it got me thinking that I could do with somebody who is capable of programming some additional things into Elastix.

Specifically in my case, I'm thinking of an OpenVPN GUI that does everything I detailed in the article, taking one or two variables and generating keys & setting up the server. Same for the Hotel Room Management system (I cant get onto the PIAF forums, they wont auth my account), I could do with a "dirty room, needs cleaning" function, and having Voicemails cleared / reset on Check-Out.

Anyway, aside from that, how do people here feel about the ideas of bounties for features and things? We can't fully rely on Palosanto to build all the cool features that we want, and I know that in my case if I get this Hotel I'm tendering for, I'd have a couple of hundred bucks to be able to throw at a feature like "dirty room, needs cleaning" and clearing voicemails on check-out. Surely I'm not the only person out there like that? :)

We were discussing how it would happen, do people generally just use Paypal or similar?

Anyway I just thought I would put that out there to the Elastix community in-general and get your thoughts on using Bounties. Do they even work? Do we have enough talented programmers around here to make it worthwhile? :)

Cheers

Chill.

2. danardf

Hi Chilling.
    I would like make from zero the hotel module to include it into Elastix Web Gui with the same template. I made some begin of progam at my work.
    I see that you have very interested by this module also, so maybe we can join our knowledge and our work together. We could help us.

I think that to get the module hotel from PIAF, it's not a good idea. It's already the guy's idea that he made this module. Make a own Elastix module it's better. In all the case, a hotel module it's a hotel module, but there's the manner of.

I'm ready to do it,and more, a Hosptial module.
    If we make a hotel module, we can make easily a hospital module. (Hotel is the base)

Why ask a bounty?
    For every people that could use the module, or the work?

3. Chilling_Silence

My biggest problem is that I cannot program :(

Other than that, I'm willing to assist in any way that I can, the sooner the better, I think! :)

4. danardf

Ok we are so a team (small), but a team with 2 persons.
    I know a little bit the PHP and mysql.
    A 23 years ago, I was programmer analyst (Pascal, Cobol, Basic, ASM) , but since.... nothing. Apart some little applications under PHP for me.

5. Chilling_Silence

I think the way PIAF have done it with the separate db for keeping tabs of who's "Checked in" and who's not, is a good idea! However, some other things could be improved upon :) A way of dialing to check yourself out would be good, and a few other little bits n pieces...

6. danardf

Of course, I agree with you, we must absolutely separate the database. That should be more practical to make the differents functions and features.
    Ok for this.
    So you have my personal mail. keep the contact with me and me too, I have your personal mail.
    Only one thing, I wait some information about the PHP class from palosanto. Else, I must do another way to use every database from Elastix server, instead of re-make some duplicate functions and class already existing.

7. Amphibian

Chilling_Silence,

I looked on PBX-In a Flash and didn't see any reference to what you had mentioned prior. Where are you finding the OpenVPN & Hotel Room stuff you are talking about? Would like to evaluate it, see how it works so I can get an idea of what you are looking for. I have a good idea of what it is and it shouldn't be a hard thing to develop. I can see where something like this would be an asset to Elastix as a add-on module.

If you wouldn't mind directing me in the right direction I will research this and see what I might be able to do.

There are a lot of features I, myself, would like to see added or available as a downloaded module.

Thanks much Sir.

Amphibian

8. danardf

Hi Amphibian.

About the Hotel rooms, it's already started since one week.
    My project is Rommix. (Hotel & Hospital).
    It will be an Elastix Module.

[​IMG]

If you have some idea about this, you can join us at our team (Me and Chilling_Silence). ;)

9. Chilling_Silence

Here's the original link from PIAF:
    http://pbxinaflash.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4992

I've also paid somebody locally I know who does programming to write up a GUI for the VPN stuff. It's not going to be very in-depth. Perhaps from there somebody can adjust it to become an Elastix-specific module?

Are you a programmer yourself Amphibian? I'm sure danardf and myself would love to have some more people jump on with Roomix :)

10. Amphibian

Chilling_Silence & danardf,

Yes, I have a EE & Computer Science Degree, for what that is worth, and I have written numerous programs (although I haven't done any actual programming in three years now) for in-car terminals and mobile data stuff, along with web & database development and up till recently was a Wire & Wireless Communications Service Company and a ISP. Have recently moved into the VoIp world within the last year. What an education that has been, just as you think you have it figured out, something else jumps out and grabs you. Welcome to the world of computers.

I have been around Linux for several years now. All servers are RH & Deb Linux flavours, All 5 desk tops computers(with the exception of one) have Linux on them. Have to keep one of the Windows machine for testing you know.

I read the link you posted, believe it or not, I had seen that link several weeks ago and even bookmarked it, go figure. I have been travelling so much lately that when I do get to get on the forum I'm so tired I don't remember everywhere I have searched, so forgive me for not remembering.

I will look over this again, will look at what "dnardf has and will get back within the week to you both to see how we can work together. I have to be out of town again this next week so it may take a little bit to read it over.

I/We use Elastix here at the office for our Call Centre (answering services) for about a year now, very impressed with it. I have tried all (and I mean all) flavours of asterisk and asterisk GUI out there avaialble and trust me, Elastix has the best IMHO GUI for asterisk. I hope to be a viable asset to the project some day and would like to advance the features as far as the mind can imagine. I have conferred with several programmers (I have on standby waiting for work all the time) to develop some additional modules for our needs and think that some of these same modules will be good for some of the stuff others want to do and they should be available for use by all in the near future.

I must run for now,

Have a good one,

Cheers
    Amphibian.

11. Chilling_Silence

Quite a nice résumé you have there ;)

Be great to have you involved. I've just spoken with the gentlemen who's writing the VPN GUI and that'll likely be done next Thursday (He has other commitments), but it'll still likely need an experienced coder (which I am not) to integrate it nicely as a slick module into Elastix...

12. chito

How is it going with the Rommix project?

13. rafael