BLF Problems

Discussion in 'General' started by EagleLink, Jan 3, 2011.

1. EagleLink

Hi everyone, I have a problem that is really confusing me.

I used to run Trixbox, until I found Elastix. When I decided to set up Elastix, I did it on a virtual machine under VMWare ESX server. Everything was running perfect, except occasional audio lag, but that was because the server is an older ans slower machine. So I decided I liked what I had and set up Elastix on the main machine, both were completely updated. I then did a complete backup through the Elastix web interface and restored it to the main machine. I shut down the virtual machine and changed the IP on the main machine to the correct address for everything to work (couldn't have 2 with the same obviously).

It appears that although the BLF lights were working flawlessly on the virtual machine, they are not working through the main server. This is really confusing me. I even shut down the main server and restarted the virtual machine, the BLF lights worked again. I then swithced back to the main machine and they of course aren't working.

Any idea what might be causing this? It appears to be a problem with the Elastix configuration or something, but I have no idea what the problem could be.

Thanks,
    JEff

2. fmvillares

probably network issues...the card driver is different

3. EagleLink

I'm not really sure how a different network card, or any network issues would cause this problem. Could you explain a little more? The card is different, but it's the same operating system and the same network configuration. With the VMWare virtual machine and the real machine everything was installed and updated exactly the same as far as I can recall. I would think the only difference the O/S would see for the network card is which driver to use, even then, they're both intel pro/100, possibly different chips (newer and older?), but more than likely use the same driver.

Is there anything I could check in debug that might tell me more info?

Jeff

4. fmvillares

well its really dfficult to explain if you dont understand the differences between 2 drivers and how do they work..you could have 30 exaclty identical installs with the difference only in the bios version of the hard, pci bus and nic cards and having 30 different problems...
    thats why vm ware installs are so simple its always the same physical image to the centos linux and in the real world you could have 60 different drivers with that install and lots of trouble especially with nic drivers...for example in some dell servers and ibm and hp if you have gigabit broadcom cards the driver obtains dhcp ip address, respond to ping but fails to use all the other network services...understand?

5. EagleLink

I'm still not sure I understand. If everything else works; incoming and outgoing calls, hold, transfer, registrations; doesn't it all use the same SIP protocol? Shouldn't the BLF work too?

EDIT: I should mention, if I haven't, that the BLF worked on this same PC when it was running Trixbox.

6. EagleLink

Hmmm, for some reason I woke up today and the BLF is working, I don't get it. I rebooted the server, rebooted the phones, power cycled them all and nothing changed. I wake up today and the BLF works.

Well, thanks for any suggestions anyway.

7. EagleLink

Hmmm, for some reason I woke up today and the BLF is working, I don't get it. I rebooted the server, rebooted the phones, power cycled them all and nothing changed. I wake up today and the BLF works.

Well, thanks for any suggestions anyway.

8. fmvillares

Re: Re:BLF Problems

totally netowkr issue then do you have vlans or any stacking or layer 2/3 filtering in your switches?

9. EagleLink

Nothing, just running a Linksys WRT350N and a linksys 8 port switch. The PBX is connected to the router to make sure it has a high speed connection (Gigabit) for the automatic backup and the phones are connected to the switch which is uplinked to the router. There aren't any vlans, qos, or anything special enabled except vpn passthrough (need that for my nokia phone to connect to t-mobile on wi-fi).

10. fmvillares

well with the info you supply nothin could be done...i think its a network issue with the nic driver of your card (different kernel compared with trixbox) or a bug affecting only your asterisk...as you are a newbie you didnt see that even if are relatively alike trix and elastix are totally different because trix hasta asterisk 1.4 and 1.6.0.x in the 2.6 and 2.8 versions and a really old kernel and elastix has asterisk 1.4 and 1.6.2.x and a relativele new kernel (6 months old) so they re different base systems with differente behaviours