basic understanding

holger

Hello everyone,

First of all, congratulations to your installation ISO. It is absolutely easy. I installed it on an old IBM netvista box. 25 minutes and everything was up and running.

The good news I have no problem with any Linux distro and I am fine with the TCP/IP stuff. The bad news, I have no idea about FXO and whatever other wonderful 3 letter shortcuts are waiting for me in the PBX world.

Therefore I would like to know if there is any good docu, that would help me understand what kind of hardware I need in order to connect my analog phones to an Elastix box, but also want to use VoIP. I hear about terminal analog adapters and many other things, but I am still looking for something that would explain to me the basics of the PBX world.

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot

Holger

MageMinds

If you want to have extensions using analogue phones, you will need FXS adaptors, Linksys have pretty good and cheap ones it's called the PAP2 and come with two ports, meaning you have to extensions per device.

If you want to use your regular analogue line from your phone provider in Asterisk then you will need a FXO card or a FXO gateway, if you have only 1 analogue line you want to use I would suggest you getting a cheap X100P PIC Card, if you have more than that, you will find a lot of product with different price tag.

The difference between both FXS and FXO is simple, one supply voltage and the other one receive it. The telco supply voltage to your home, so you need a FXO card to connect to it, a regular phone is a FXO device it receive voltage from the plug.

The ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) provide voltage to your phone so it's a FXS ports...

The way I can remember it: the S in FXS stands for SUPPLY.

As for VoIP provider, you will need to find one that allow you to Bring Your Own Device or often called "BYOD". Then you configure it in Trunks make an outbound and inbound route and you're good to go!

MageMinds

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr