Discussion in 'General' started by cowboy47, Nov 30, 2007.

1. cowboy47

Jun 14, 2007
    There have been several discussions about bacula versus backuppc.

I am interested to know if anyone has done more research into bacula. If I have to install a separate system I will, but I have not had luck installing the rpms.

2. lefty4080

Nov 27, 2007
    Probably like you I wanted something more than just a backup of my elastix or trixbox files. I have had to reload so many systems and no one seems to have a good working backup system to make a complete image of the system.

I tried several times to get bacula to work with no success. On Centos 5 anyway.

DISCLAIMER: I am no linux expert. I follow directions and when they work great. I cant guarantee they will work for you but this worked for me. I did it step by step as I need it that way as a novice so I hope this helps someone else that was suffering the same frustration of not having an entire system backup plan for there PBX.

I recently downloaded the Elastix .9, installed and worked out the bugs. I am happy where my system is at and dont want a bad upgrade to kill it. So that being said I was finally able to get Mondo to work with this setup. Mondo, once it worked was excellent. Although I have not used the disk image it created I am pretty sure all is well. Here is what I had to do in case it helps you or anyone else:

1. I went to this site:

2. I went to the download section-Chapter 3 it brought me to this link

3. I went to the dependencies section and downloaded the following files:

4. I then logged in as root and did
    yum install cdrecord

5. Because I am lazy I used Webmin to install the components in step 3.
    Went to the system, software, and used install a new package and used from uploaded file.
    Then clicked on the box and went to the place on my machine that I downloaded the files to. Once it loaded I made sure that I checked the box that said "overwrite files" as Yes.

NOTE: I started with the first one and worked down. If any dependencies were missing from error messages I click delete uploaded file and installed them from yum, but I think if you follow these steps you wont get any.

6. Once I went through all the updates in step 3, I rebooted. I am not sure you have to but I wanted to be safe.

7. I then logged in as root again and continued on with Chapter 5 of the manual. It told me to test mindi and I followed the instructions.

Type mindi at the prompt
    Do you want to use your own kernel to build the boot disk (y/n) ?y
    Would you like to use LILO (instead of syslinux)
    for your boot CD (y/n) ?n

It goes through some stuff (I got a few errors here about kernel size, blah, blah)

Then Shall I make a bootable CD image? (y/n) y
    (again I got some error that I have to check into)

After this I though "maybe mondo wont work because I got those errors" but I did use Mondo and it appeared to work.

NOTE: I dont have a CDBurner on the machine I am using, I think that the errors I got at this step had to do with that. I just made images on my hard drive and then copied them to a machine that had a burner and made the CD's on that machine. In the next step

8. At the prompt logged in as root I typed:
    Then follow the steps
    The first one I chose harddrive
    Then next step took the default location
    I used average compression in the next step
    I chose 650MB for my files size next to fix a CD
    The next steps I took the defaults
    I then said Yes to veryify the backups
    I said YES to the Kernal question
    The YES to proceed

It took about 30 minutes or so to complete the backups and I burned 2 CD's

No error message came up and I look at the contents of the CD's and they appeared OK.

LAST NOTE: I am sure above you can do any of the steps you like however. I just wanted to take the defaults to make sure it work.

Have a great day.<br><br>Post edited by: lefty4080, at: 2007/12/01 21:47
  3. Need2No

Sep 22, 2007
    I went a slightly different route. From their

page, I created a file "/etc/yum.repro.d/mondo.repo", containing:

name=Fedora Core $releasever - mondo

Don't worry about the "Fedora Core" bit. I then just did "yum list mondo*, then did yum install mondo. After mondo installed, run "mondoarchive", and away you go. Although I have done a backup of my system, I have not had a need to do a restore yet.

Regards<br><br>Post edited by: Need2No, at: 2007/12/02 05:04
  4. lefty4080

Nov 27, 2007
    Well that was certainly alot easier! Wish I saw that post before I did my install. Although mine seems a little longer than it actually was.