Backup System / Restore Points

Discussion in 'General' started by dfmrego, Jul 21, 2009.

1. dfmrego

Hello,

I'm still testing Elastix, congratulations for you work.

One of the things I feel need is a more robust backup system.

I've been reading the post of the forum and most of the posts about Backups is regarding shedules, I believe developers will give it to us on the next release but i miss some options, more for initial setup and testing, like:
    -The possibility to choose or edit the name of the backup file
    -A field for notes/comments (what have I changed)
    -Details on backup file (ex: what options I selected to backup)
    -The possibility to choose a remote location (partition, disk, pen, lan, ftp) for backup files

As we can enable or disable a debug mode, sometimes it would be nice to have a solution like Windows Restore Point. When enable all changes are monitored and when detected, a backup is made.

Best Regards,
    ;)
    DR

2. Megabyte

Hi, you can have an schedule backup in freepbx, but that post its very good and very good sugestions, there is a forum that you can post what users want to be released or take into consideration for the next release.

3. Patrick_elx

two main software were discussed previously regarding backup:

clonezilla: excellent, but need to stop the server during the copy.
    mondobackup: work as a cron service

Both can backup on a DVD, ftp, samba, local hard drive...

Clonezilla is really straight forward. I've used it many times to restore and never had any issue.

Mondo is easy to backup, but I had many small issues to successfully restore. It's more an operator problem than a software limitation. Still learning how to use it efficiently.

But I would agree that having mondo (or another automatic full backup solution) in the Elastix distribution would be great.