Avantfax sucks. Any *real* alternative?

bulgarion

I don't mean to be rude or express any judgement over the authors, but let's face it - avantfax sucks. From too many points of view - its installation is "poor" (and I'm being too honest), the interface is not well-studied, the only things that seems to be ok (fax queue handling) are the only ones that rely on hylafax.
Overall the project seems to be quite confused. And there's nothing better around - all of the free web clients found here http://www.hylafax.org/content/Client_Software are outdated or at the same mess point as avantfax.
What the hell, is that so hard to add an elastix module that can SEND fax from the web panel and not just let user VIEW the sent ones? I'm tempted to write one myself... (if only the Elastix Developer Docs weren't from 2007!)

Megabyte

Mr, those clients are for Hylafax No Avantafax, please read a little before posting something like that.

What is AvantFAX?

AvantFAX® is a web application for managing faxes on HylaFAX

bulgarion

Megabyte said:
Mr, those clients are for Hylafax No Avantafax, please read a little before posting something like that.
And you might know as well that Avantfax is nothing more than *just another* web client for Hylafax. I was pointing that link to show that the other web clients are more or less in the same messy situation as Avantfax.

AvantFAX allows users on any platform to view and send faxes without having to install special software. It also allows administrators to manage users, their permissions, fax lines, fax categories, etc.
Nothing to say about that, I would just add in the end: "in a funny, unnecessary complicated way".

Avantfax its also available to install in elastix distro because some contributors (Ramoncio) works very hard to do that.
I managed to install avantfax using the .tgz downloaded from their website just adjusting the preferences, it's not so hard to install in Elastix at all. Ramoncio released an RPM that does the same in a better way, and provides priceless support to fix the inevitable problems that jumps out using Avantfax. I'm just saying that writing a small module to send fax FROM elastix would be better than wasting so much time trying to integrate a messy third-party client.

Megabyte

Did you check Elastix 2.0 ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr