AVANTFAX is a MUST!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by ramoncio, Nov 9, 2007.

1. ramoncio

Have you seen how the guys of Avantfax are improvig it??
    They have released many versions in some months. I think that now it has less issues on the install process.
    You should really consider to give it a try for 0.9.1.
    Don't try to integrate it with the elastix inteface an the moment, as it would take more time, just force the link to open in other tab/page.
    I'm going to try to install it myself, but I'm not too good, though I'm getting better.
    If I have any success I will give you a guideline.
    It has lots of really great features!!
    Look here:
    http://www.avantfax.com/screenshots.php

2. Eham

I agree with this. I'm using Elastix for the IAX2 faxing capabilities. The only thing that Hylafax/Elastix lacks is the web faxing that Avantfax has included. For example, I can send a fax on a web GUI where it does all of the post-scripting for you. Alternatively you can configure Elastix-Hylafax on your own for the Print-to-fax app, or email-to-fax setup. Although one problem I've seen with print-to-fax is that you cannot specify the "from-fax number/DID" so it picks them at random and the recipient doesn't get your true fax number on the header.

I've also had to develop IP TABLES firewall for Elastix/CentOS because I do not want to put a firewall in front of it. The problem with Hylafax and IP TABLES is the FTP-PASSIVE. I've gotten around that by loading the proper IP tables modules. I am willing to share my code with the Elastix developers upon request.

Adminsparadise includes Avantfax. However it is far from reliable which is why I am sticking to Elastix.

3. lek

lek Guest

We're going to analyze the possibility of incluiding a Web based fax application for sending faxes in Elastix.

4. techieg

Eham, what is "far from unreliable" is it just the webfax feature or Adminsparadise in general?

I am unable to test it since I cannot even install it because it is based on hardware-selective CentOS4 and the LiveCD does not show any GUI either.<br><br>Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/11/18 21:32

5. Eham

Adminsparadise's Avantfax implementation seems to be incomplete and out of date. Avantfax's latest version is a few trains ahead of Adminsparadises'. They need to keep up on stuff which of course depends on how much time the developers have to maintain the code.

I'm using a Dell Power Edge 1650. I have not had driver problems with the OEM system using CentOS4 or 5.

6. techieg

Its obvious that the Adminsparadise guys are not moving on with that stuff. I mean, look at their forums, nothing gets answered and the application itself is based on CentOS 4 when CentOS 5 has been out for ages. I know Elastix's Avantfax integration will be much better anyway.

When I said CentOS 4 is picky on hardware, I did not mean the full blown OS itself. Its weird because the CentOS 4 itself would install on the same machines I have but when I try to install a PBX that is based on CentOS 4 it never installed. It happened to everyone with Trixbox, which the Trixbox guys even acknowledged and finally released one based on CentOS 5.

7. cowboy47

Has anyone else looked at this or installed it? One of the first things that I noted while looking at the pre-requisite was that it supposedly required ghostscript and I seem to recall that ghostscript seemed to cause a lot of problems. The other item was the amount of supporting libraries that were called upon when I did a yum install of ImageMagick.

So, again am I feel obliged to ask, has anyone really installed this and got it working? And did you run into any problems?

C

8. FuneralMan

9. ramoncio

Lots of thanks, FuneralMan.
    Finally I got Avantfax working fine with Elastix!!!
    I have made a script to install it:
    Code:
    yum install -y ImageMagick ghostscript libtiff netpbm-progs libungif sudo a2ps psutils expect php-pecl-Fileinfo php-devel
    pear upgrade-all
    pear install db mail mail_mime
    pear channel-update pear.php.net
    chown -R asterisk:asterisk /var/lib/php/session
    cd /usr/src
    wget http://dfn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/avantfax/avantfax-2.3.0.tgz
    tar xfvz avantfax-2.3.0.tgz
    cd avantfax-2.3.0
    chown -R asterisk:asterisk avantfax
    mv avantfax /var/www/html/
    mysql -uroot -peLaStIx.2oo7 < create_user.sql
    mysql -uavantfax -pd58fe49 avantfax < create_tables.sql
    cd /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/
    cp -a local_config-example.php local_config.php
    # change manually "$dft_config_lang = "en";" to your language ("it" in my case)
    chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/avantfax/tmp
    chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/avantfax/faxes
    cd /var/spool/hylafax/bin
    mv faxrcvd faxrcvd.old
    mv notify notify.old
    ln -s /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/faxrcvd.php /var/spool/hylafax/bin/faxrcvd
    ln -s /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/notify.php /var/spool/hylafax/bin/notify
    mv /usr/bin/faxcover /usr/bin/faxcover.old
    ln -s /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/faxcover.php /usr/bin/faxcover
    /usr/sbin/faxadduser -a pwd asterisk
    /usr/sbin/faxdeluser localhost
    /usr/sbin/faxdeluser 127.0.0.1
    echo 127.0.0.1 >> /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd
    echo "asterisk ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot, /sbin/halt, /usr/sbin/faxdeluser, /usr/sbin/faxadduser -u * -p * *" >> /etc/sudoers
    echo "0 * * * * /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/phb.php" >> /etc/crontab
    echo "0 0 * * * /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/remold.php" >> /etc/crontab
    reboot

#http://server/avantfax/admin
    #username: afadmin
    #password: password
    #and configure a user for AVANTFAX
    #http://server/avantfax/
    #to login with the user you just created.

10. lfhuhn

Great work, question though. is it a script or cut and past each line? Again thanks for the hard work. Larry

11. ramoncio

I copy it into a file avantfax.sh, then

chmod +x avantfax.sh
    ./avantfax.sh

I have made some minor changes.
    Here is my final script to install AvanFAX in Elastix:

<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/12/21 23:36

12. ramoncio

New Avantfax version.
    They have included a script to install in Centos!!!
    So the Elastix install script gets much easier:

NOTE: They have changed the default admin user. Look at the script code for new one

13. Telco

I tried the script but it installed avantfax in the wrong directory. Plus it only displayed a blank page after I moved it. So I am tring to reinstall it again using the older script.

14. Telco

Ok I used the other script and it worked perfectly. Does anyone have any documentation on setup and using Avantfax? I can't seem to find any on their website.

15. Telco

ramoncio,

Were you able to get avantfax to use iax2 for modems or do you have a physical modem in your server. I can't get it to log into the iax2. I have set up a modem and it works with hylafax print. But how do I configure avantfax to work. Please help.

16. ramoncio

Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy.

It works perfect with iaxmodem, I've been using it for more than a month, just with one iaxfax, but you should be able to add more virtual modems. I have tried with a Openvox a1200p and with a X100P clone and they work great with iaxfax and hylafax.

Latest avantfax rh-install script doesn't work for me too.
    It looks for sendmail, and Elastix uses postfix, I noticed after posting the second script.
    But if you modify the first script and change avantfax-2.3.0.tgz for avantfax-3.0.1.tgz it works!!
    If you have previous version installed you might need to remove /var/www/html/avantfax and avantfax mysql database (careful, you might lose your faxes and configurations).
    I just have one problem with version 3.0.1: once I login I can't logout, it doesn't work for me. Maybe I'll try again with a fresh install.
    Maybe you can try to install it and find a solution.
    Good luck!
    I think Elastix's crew will not be very willing to help, as they are developing their own faxing gui, but at the moment I prefer avantfax. The user interface is nicer and has maany more functions.
    Maybe with Elastix 1.0 (or 2.0) they'll eventually improve it.

You have to create the iax2 extension and virtual modem in elastix gui.
    After installing avantfax, go to https://server/avantax/admin
    and login with admin/password for 3.0.1 or afadmin/password for version 2.3.0.
    Create a new fax category(I created one called general), add the modem (device:ttyIAX1, alias:fax1, contact:email or empy).
    Then create a new user and configure his parameters, granting access to the fax category and to the modem you just created.
    Then logout from the admin console and login to the avantfax interface in https://server/avantax/<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2008/01/11 05:52

17. Telco

Thanks for your post. I will be trying it again this weekend.

18. ramoncio

My old script now works fine with Avantfax 3.0.5 with minor modifications!!!
    Event logout works ok!! (I had logout problems with avantfax 3.0.1)
    Here is my new script to install Avantfax 3.0.5 in Elastix.
    It works like a charm, but just for first time installs.
    So if you have Avantfax already working you will have to remove the mysql database and the /var/www/html/avantfax folder before executing the script. This will blow out all your faxes, users and configs.
    Sorry, but updaters will have to work out their way!

NOTE: I have installed Avantfax using this script on my test machine and everything worked fine, but in the next machine I've tried there is some problem. All I get is a white screen. I'll check out everything again.<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2008/01/17 05:08

19. ramoncio

I get a white screen and this log in /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log:

[Thu Jan 17 21:58:06 2008] [error] [client 192.168.160.30] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required 'ampuser.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/classes.php on line 21

I cant find ampuser.php anywhere on my hd.
    I have asked in avantfax sf forum... maybe they can help.

Any ideas?

20. ramoncio

Good news.
    I had some problems uninstalling avantfax 3.0.1 in my main test machine, and the script doesn't work there.
    The script doesn't work for updates, just new installs.
    I have made some minor modifications following the original avantfax script minimal-setup.sh.
    I haven't checked the email features, as I don't need them at the moment, but I will.
    I have used it for 3 or 4 new 0.9.2 installs and it works great.
    Here it is. It should work in most of the Elastix versions.

I hope this helps you.
    Avantfax is really good.

I hope Elastix crew will make a fax frontend as least as good as Avantfax, but somehow I doubt it.