Avantfax cover page doesn't pull in the fields

Discussion in 'General' started by klewis, Oct 29, 2010.

1. klewis

Hello-
    I have searched google and this forum but have not seen this issue and I suspect it's a permissions problem somewhere. We are using Avantfax 3.2.2 and Elastix 2.0 and when we send a fax with Avantfax and fill out the fields, the coversheet comes through as the default sheet layout without any of the information transferred to it:

To: XXXX-to
    Company: XXXX-to-company
    Tel: XXXXX-to-voice-number
    Fax: XXX-to-fax-number

and so on. The weirdest part is that it shows up as a GIF file and doesn't include the one page attachment I had added on to it, just the image of the cover page.

I thought I'd be smart and try using the coverpage.html file instead, changing the config setting to point to that page. Installed the html2ps and tried again, using a one page text attachment. The HTML coverpage came through as a blank page, but my one page attachment showed up this time.

Any thoughts more than welcome!
    Thanks,
    Kelly

2. ramoncio

Hi klewis, wellcome to the forum!

How did you make you cover page? Or are you using the default one??
    Are you using a postscript cover or a html one?
    How did you install Avantfax?

and last, but not least

what can you see in the Avantfax logs, in the admin menu??

3. klewis

---------------------------------
    Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the quick reply!

I used the default coverpage.html file. I just tried it again putting one piece of custom text in there to see if it would show up, but same issue, just a blank page and this error:

Problem sending the fax.: format failed ERROR

Avantfax was installed using the elastix-avantfax-3.2.2-beta1-noarch.rpm

Here are the two attempts I made this morning trying to fax:
    send_mail> 'format failed fax: 1xxxxxxxxxx 31.10.2010 12:29' sent to 'xxx@gmail.com' from 'FaxSrv@xxx.xxx' - /var/www/html/avantfax/tmp/2010-10-31-1xxxxxxxxxx-122934-26/fax.pdf (1xxxxxxxxxx.pdf)
    31.10.2010 12:29 convert2pdf> created /var/www/html/avantfax/tmp/2010-10-31-1xxxxxxxxxx-122934-26/fax.pdf in 0.2ms
    31.10.2010 12:29 notify> Executing: doneq/q26 format_failed (4)
    31.10.2010 12:25 send_mail> 'format failed fax: 1xxxxxxxxxx 31.10.2010 12:25' sent to 'xxx@gmail.com' from 'FaxSrv@xxx.xxx' - /var/www/html/avantfax/tmp/2010-10-31-1xxxxxxxxxx-122521-25/fax.pdf (1xxxxxxxxxx.pdf)
    31.10.2010 12:25 convert2pdf> created /var/www/html/avantfax/tmp/2010-10-31-1xxxxxxxxxx-122521-25/fax.pdf in 0.2ms
    31.10.2010 12:25 notify> Executing: doneq/q25 format_failed (4)

I'm guessing it might be a permission setting or a missing tool in the install.

Thanks for the help!
    Kelly

4. ramoncio

Hi Kelly,

This aren't good news for you..

'format failed fax' is caused because ghostscript is incompatible with some pdf formats.
    Depending on the program you use to create the pdfs you can have trouble. Latest Acrobat Pro version might cause trouble. I use pdfcreator and it works great. If you use linux it will be fine too.
    I tried upgrading to different ghostscript versions, but no success, so if they find an incompatible pdf, they print it out using pdfcreator, and then create a compatible pdf.

5. klewis

It's Halloween here, so scary news is no surprise!

So, if I'm understanding correctly, you suspect this is a client end issue and not on the server. I'll go test from some other machines and see if I have any different results.

Thanks!
    Kelly

6. voopy

Re: Re:Avantfax cover page doesn't pull in the fields

Thanks very much for the input on this.

When this happens, what is the best way to handle it? Should one use specific versions of pdf creator on PC if there is/are known versions or should one look to the linux box for a more compatible version?

7. klewis

I've done some more testing and reset the local_config.php in AvantFax back to cover.ps to take the html2ps portion out of the loop. I am actually able to send a fax successfully this way, but without the coversheet updating itself. I'll attach what it looks like in this message. I filled out the coverpage in Avantfax and attached a 1 page PDF file as an attachment and this is what goes through. Also posting this in Avantfax forum to see if they have any thoughts. If I fax directly through Elastix fax tab, all works well, and I can receive incoming faxes just fine.

Thanks!
    Kelly

8. klewis

I've done some more testing and reset the local_config.php in AvantFax back to cover.ps to take the html2ps portion out of the loop. I am actually able to send a fax successfully this way, but without the coversheet updating itself. I'll attach what it looks like in this message. I filled out the coverpage in Avantfax and attached a 1 page PDF file as an attachment and this is what goes through. Also posting this in Avantfax forum to see if they have any thoughts. If I fax directly through Elastix fax tab, all works well, and I can receive incoming faxes just fine.
    http://forum.elastix.org/old_files/78430000_74574263.zip

Thanks!
    Kelly

9. klewis

Going into the actual .ps file on the server, I can see the text for the cover sheet that I typed into the Avantfax interface is getting passed along to the server in the tmp directory, but it just doesn't get passed along to the cover.ps page.

In the snippet below, this is part of the file in var/www/html/avantfax/tmp/6923dd4a.ps that shows what I typed into the Avantfax interface. I will take this to the Avantfax forum, but thought I'd pop it up here in case it was something we might not have turned on in the Elastix install.

Thanks!
    Kelly
    ----------------------------------

}if
    } forall
    pop exch 1 add XtoCommentsX cvn exch def
    } def
    /to (Kelly Lewis) def
    /to-company (My Company) def
    /to-location (Hugo) def
    /to-voice-number (651-2XX-2XXX) def
    /to-fax-number (18665XXXXXX) def
    /pageWidth 209.97 def
    /pageLength 296.97 def
    /from (Kelly Lewis) def
    /from-fax-number (651-2XX-2XXX) def
    /from-voice-number (651-2XX-2XXX) def
    /from-company (My Networks) def
    /from-location (Box 152, Town, MN 51234) def
    /page-count (0) def
    /todays-date (Sun Oct 31 2010, 20:55 CDT) def
    /regarding (Testing after upgrade) def
    /comments (Testing after upgrade of Elastix - no attachments) def
    /MaxComments 20 def
    MaxComments comments BreakIntoCommentX
    /MaxLenComments 35 def
    MaxComments comments BreakIntoCommentsX
    %%EndProlog

10. voopy

The problem appears to be that Avantfax is using a different version or method of *.ps creation than the system does.

In additional testing, we found that sending faxes created from the command line work, while a ps created by avantfax doesn't.

Trying to send a ps file created by avantfax for a coversheet immediately fails with
    NOTIFY: bin/notify.php "doneq/q46" "format_failed" ""

However, when converting a pdf to ps from command line then using sendfax, the ps file is sent and the outgoing fax works.

There is one other thing I've come across now.

When using html2ps, I found that there are fonts which appear to be missing. This is the same tool being used by avantfax I believe, in order to convert the html file to ps.

# html2ps -f coverpage.html -o coverpage.ps
    Unknown font: arial, helvetica, sans-serif, using times
    (This error shows on about 20 lines, then have to hit CTRL-C to get prompt back)

And finally, as Kelly has or will post, there is also a difference in ps files created by avantfax vs from the command line.

Broken.ps created by avantfax contains;
    %!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-2.0
    %%Creator: faxcover
    %%Title: HylaFAX Cover Sheet

While a pdf converted to ps contains;
    File-I-converted.ps
    %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    %%Pages: (atend)
    %%BoundingBox: 47 17 565 791
    %%HiResBoundingBox: 47.469141 17.900000 564.648828 790.300000
    %.....................................
    %%Creator: ESP Ghostscript 81502 (pswrite)
    %%CreationDate: 2010/11/01 00:50:42

Granted, converting a pdf to ps isn't the same as using the html2ps but since I cannot run html2ps for lack of fonts, I only have the other formats to test.

So, we have switched the coverpage setting back to cover.ps but are not sure how this is being handled in terms of converting the input text into the cover sheet page.

11. voopy

It's not worth going into all of the testing that we did at this point, we've posted quite a lot of it.

For some reason, version 3.2.2 that we picked up from this site seems to have problems when it comes to the faxcover process running. It never puts the information into the coversheet, just breaks the outgoing fax with a format error.

Upgrading to 3.3.3 fixed the problem of the cover page.
    However, now we seem to have an attachment problem.

12. voopy

So we ended up going back to 1.6, installing nv detect, avantfax and everything worked right out of the box.

Giving up on 2.0 for a while after beating our heads against the wall for a solid week trying to find a solution to one problem that simply moved on to another each time we thought we had it fixed.

13. 6string

I have this same problem with Elastix 1.6 and Avantfax 3.2.2
    I also tried upgrading to Avantfax 3.3.3
    Still have the XXX- all of the fields of the cover page
    Can you explain if the nvdetect is what solved the problem or ?
    Thanks !!

14. voopy

The problem has nothing to do with nvdetect, it seems to be a mismatch of software versions on elastix 2.0. Every single time we thought we had it, something else would break. Finally, we gave up, built a 1.6 box back up, installed hylafax/avantfax combo and done.

15. 6string

I finally found the problem for anyone who needs this
    I hope it will save you some time

in 3.2.2 install script symlink is: ln -s /var/www/avantfax/includes/faxcover.php /usr/bin/faxcover

So renamed the /usr/bin/faxcover as a backup
    Then ran this: ln -s /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/faxcover.php /usr/bin/faxcover

Now it works for me on Elastix 1.6 with Avantfax 3.2.2