Asterisk stop communication with ip-phones

Discussion in 'General' started by fjaimem, Sep 18, 2008.

1. fjaimem

I have a very strange situation here. I have a HP DL380 G5 with Elastix 1.2.1-4 upgraded from 1.0.16. The problem is that sometimes, asterisk stops communication with the Ip-phones (aastra and linksys) but the asterisk console shows a normal activity and even the incoming calls are accepted by the asterisk and plays the IVR like normally do, but if I want to make a phone call between extensions or to the PSTN, the phone shows "NO SERVICE" and Call Failed but once again the "Asterisk -r" console shows a normal operation. I hope someone can help me, cause Elastix is my main communication server and is affecting our communications.

Thanks in advance

2. telecomtechnician

Hi there

1) Is this strange failure is happening after the upgrade or has happened before?

2) Are the ip phones on the LAN were the asterisk server is?

3) Check your lan carefully, maybe an unusual traffic is showing up?

this type of failures are sometime a detective work

Waiting for your comments

David Medina

3. fjaimem

David,

Thanks for your response.

The failure was before the upgrade. The IP-Phones are in the same network segment that the asterisk server. And you are right about the detective thing. I checked the asterisk log (full) and from my point of view there´s nothing there. The Asterisk server suddenly lost communication with all the phones but "sip show peers" shows all the phones with "OK" Status. If I send a ping to the phones it responds without a problem, but I cannot receive or make any phone calls. What I believe is that it happening after make some changes in the PBX module and apply changes. I believe is a freePBX thing.

I hope you can help me with this.

Once again thanks.

4. fjaimem

5. telecomtechnician

Hi there

Your posts looks interesting and there could be a possibility that this is the problem. But first, you should check very carefully your network (router and switch).

Try disabling the internet from the lan and generate traffic(extensions calls, access to other computers in the same lan).

Monitor all this traffic through the router and see if something goes wrong.

Remember, detective work.

Waiting for your comments

David Medina

6. icbnsys

If you think your problem is related to these threads, you can confirm it by disabling all our SIP trunks temporarily and see if your extension to extension call returns to normal. See also discussion related to this issue here http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... id=3#10581

7. fjaimem

Today My Asterisk server fails again but this time I did a little research during the fail. I realize that we create a new extension and apply changes in the PBX module and the extension never appears in the list with "sip show peers" command.
    After that Asterisk fails. When I enter in the asterisk console (asterisk -r) I tried the reload command and give me the message "The previous reload command didn't finish yet". To solve the problem I restarted the Asterisk service and everything comes to normal. Hope this help to solve the problem with your support.

Thanks.