Are There Any Maintenance Procedures I Should Know

Discussion in 'General' started by rs232c, Feb 23, 2010.

1. rs232c

The documentation for elsatix is not for the faint hearted, but you can get through it. I originally had 1.5 installed and working correctly, then the system started bombing out, so I upgraded to 1.6 and currently have that working out of the box as needed until I have time to experiment with addtional features and settings.

The problems I had with 1.5 were that the system began to fail where the web interface would fail so that each page I clicked on required me to sign back in. The System tab would have no system information and I could not review calls, make changes to settings, run CLI, or be generally useless. In addition, which alerted me to the problem, would be that the IVR messages would get 'stuck' and repeat over and over again and not take any input, or move on to the hold music (The original guitar music that scares people, so they tell me).

My only solution was to re-install 1.5 and setup the system from out of the box again. This would not only take time, but formating the drive lost all my monitored calls and saved voicemails.

After the fourth time of this, I decided to download and upgrade to 1.6. Problem sovled, so I thought, except that now it is starting again the exact same way. Now it can take several reboots to come back on line correctly. Right now only half of the System web page shows up with no hard drive usage graphic on 1.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any maintenance procedures that I should follow, absent from any documentation that I have seen, to keep the system running properly so that I do not have to reboot at inconvienient times or re-install and lose data?

Thank You.

2. rs232c

Problem: Elastix bombs out eventually, are there any maintenance procedures I should know about?

I discovered there are minimal maintenance proedures needed to keep a system going. I've looked at the other people who asked similar questions, and yes Linux is very stable but why does this one server keep bombing out?

I came across this webpage which states:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+automatic+daily+restart

Having had to reinstall and lose everything so many times knowing about these procedures are very welcome.

3. dicko

I would suggest at a minimum, your maintenance schedule should include daily backups of the system and monthly imaging of the system, depending on your dynamics, change these to suit. copying those data off site is of course necessary, edit amportal.conf to suit the daily backups, investigate mondoarchive for the monthlies.

If I where you I might suspect my system hardware, a standard Asterisk/Elastix system should (and in my experience, does) stay up indefinitely.

Be careful of adding known memory leak prone software (often java based) as your description describes such a system where the system processes and memory usage grow all the time, eventually to the point where your machine becomes unresponsive.

For a real-time view of your system use "top" and watch for abnormal process/memory growth (man top to learn what all those fields are)

I also suggest you install SAR and learn how to interpret it's output, sar will log and comit to disk on a ten minute basis all system activity, memory usage, disk usage, network usage etc. good for a historical view of your system for post-mortem analysis.

dicko

4. rollinsolo

Also just a quick, dirty and easy one to watch are your log files in /var/log and /var/log/asterisk, if these log files grown out of control then open them up and start to read through some of the errors, correct them at once (ie. an invalid secret on an iax extension will grow a huge log file and fill up your hard drive in a matter of days, ultimately locking the system up.) But in most cases I do not have to reset often at all, I have a couple of customers that went over a year, since then I have rebooted but later found out I did not need to, sucks because it is nice to go to the admin page and see 390 days of uptime. Good luck.

5. powerpbx

I would agree with the suggestion of a system image so that you can restore from bare metal. I use Acronis but there are other ways. I burn it onto a DVD and tape it to the top of the server.