Am I opening up to issues?

Discussion in 'General' started by mike.strock, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mike.strock

With the help of Bob and a few other folks here, I have my Elastix box running nicely.

One thing I did, which may or may not be the best idea, was to set up three digit extensions for my users who don't have phone numbers on my system.

For example, we have three travelling salespeople. They don't have phone numbers in the system, so I created the following:

Salesperson1 -> DID 845
    In the follow me section for DID 845, I have <cellphonenumber>#

This works great. People on the Elastix system can dial a three digit extension and it calls out to one of these traveling salespeople on their mobile phones.

But am I opening myself up to issues here? Just want to make sure, since I'm new at this.

Thanks!

Mike.

2. Bob

Bob

Mike,

The way you are using the Followme is generally the correct/expected way.

Generally, for sales people, quite often they have a phone in the office. What I generally do is ring this phone for 5 seconds, then perform a followme which continues to go to the desk phone and also to their mobile (mini ring group). The only other thing I put in place is the CONFIRM CALLS option on.

The reason for this is that the saleperson knows it is a call being transferred from the office, and knows to keep it short (keeps costs down). Also this confirm option allows it to be part of ring groups and not have the mobile phone voicemail take the call (your need might be different and you prefer the call goes to the Mobile voicemail and never flow to other options).

If they have no deskphone, then what you can setup is an CUSTOM extension, give it an extension number of 845. Add the followme information, selecting the ring option as RINGALL. Remove the extension 845 that it puts in by default and just add the mobile number with a #.
    The benefit of setup of a custom extension is that you can still setup voicemail and voicemail to email for the calls that are not answered.

The best part is that the mobile phones act exactly the same as extensions in that you can perform unattended and attended transfers (from the office that is). The salespeople feel like they are part of the office instead of being isolated.

NOTE: I am assuming that when you refer to DID 845, you are referring to EXT 845.
    NOTE: CONFIRM CALLS only works with RINGALL and RINGPRIM
    NOTE: Make sure you extend the ring time on the Followme, usually to about 30sec+ is best. This covers for Mobile phone call setup time (delay from call to ringing). It also gives the mobile phone person time to hear the announcement and then also gives them time to press 1 to take the call.

Hope this helps

Bob

3. mike.strock

Absolutely it helps. Thanks again Bob.

Mike.