Advice/Understanding on use of Elastix and VOIP?

Discussion in 'General' started by telewebs, May 18, 2010.

1. telewebs

Hi everybody,

I'd appreciate insight to ensure I am understanding the role Elastix and VOIP can play...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Background
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I am located in the United States.

I have a brick-n-mortar business in State "A."
    That business has a primary phone number that I want to keep and use.
    It has an old PBX (I'm willing to eliminate or replace with Elastix), 3 analog phone lines, 2 phones, and 1 credit card machine.

I plan to set up a main office in State "B." to handle scheduling for the business in State "A."
    In that office I'd like to setup Elastix, have 2 phones, 1 fax, and 1 credit card machine. I am considering running that office entirely on SIP trunks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Goals
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My goal is to retain my main phone number (that's what clients know to call), and be able to route incoming calls directly to the business when they are staffed to handle it, and all other times route the calls to the main office in State B (but avoid the long-distance forwarding charges on the analog lines.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Possible Solution?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    With my current understandings, I'm thinking a solution could be:

* Keep the analog line in State A, and keep that primary phone number associated with it.
    * When folks call in for scheduling, it can sometimes go to the business in State A, BUT, when the staff there cannot handle the calls, they (OR I at the main office) can forward those calls to another number local to State A that is attached to a SIP trunk which can thus forward to State B and ring the phones there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Questions
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Am I understanding how this all works?
    Am I convoluting a process that could be simplified?
    Is there a better approach?
    Are SIP trunks reliable enough to not lose calls/business?

Many thanks for your thoughts/insights!

2. dicko

Welcome telewebs:

Basically yes to all, but this is easier to do after reading "Elastix Without Tears" (available in the download section here) and a fuller background on the "inter-tubes" ( I recommend http://www.voip-info.org for a more complete discussion.)

You can usually "port" your number to legitimate VOIP providers to relieve the cost of the "landlines" but remember that VOIP can only be a good as the network it runs on, that includes the infrastructural and the hardware imnvolved, any chain is strong as it's weakest link, (but google uses it).

dicko

3. telewebs

Thanks, dicko,

I'm going DIRECTLY to voip-info.org as well as downloading "Elastix without Tears."

If you're willing, I'd love to hear your advice as well, so when I return with the above links/docs under my belt I can really make some sense of all this.

Much appreciated!

4. dicko

There are many here, myself included, who will gladly help you get your feet wet, you then in turn will be able to help the next "telewebs" who shows up.

regards

dicko

5. Patrick_elx

Just a suggestion.
    Start by buying a number from a reputable Voip provider to setup and test your system.
    When everything will work as you want, then port your actual phone number to the same provider.

As dicko said, you need a proper internet provider to ensure quality.

Also, having two locations will help you, in case one of your office internet is down for any reason, the other office will continue to be able to pickup incoming calls.