Adjusting volume on SIP trunks?

Discussion in 'General' started by JohnyBeGood, Apr 7, 2009.

1. JohnyBeGood

Hello,

I was waiting for stable version of Elastix because I thought there was something wrong with previous version.
    Even on v1.5 stable on all SIP calls During a call the person at the other end says my voice is very quiet and I have to speak quite loudly for them to be able to hear me clearly. Their voice is perfect at my end.
    Same issue on either cell on regular POTS.
    My question is where can I increase volume of SIP calls?

I have regualar phone connected to Linksys SPA-3102 -> Elastix

Thanks!

2. dicko

There is no provision or need for adjusting SIP gain, it assumes the audio stream connected is "normalized" i.e. is "one milliwatt"

The linksys make the same assumption (it is a SIP device) as to the nature of the "station" hardware attached to it.

You should look at the "regular phone" connected to the linksys, try replacing it or using a soft phone to check the system otherwise.

3. JohnyBeGood

Thanks for the explanation!
    I guess I need to look for new phone.

4. mbit

In the 3102 you need to look for a setting called txgain or output gain. I cant remember the exact setting on this. I believe the normal setting it has is gain as 0. On the unit you should be able to set it to -6, 0 or +6.

5. ramoncio

You need to switch to advanced configuration, and in the Regional tab, Miscellaneus you have FXS Port Input Gain and FXS Port Output Gain.

6. JohnyBeGood

So, adjusting FXS Port input/output gain will have impact on SIP trunk volume?

7. JohnyBeGood

When I get some time I'll try to play with it, right now both input and output
    are set to -3
    For those of you who have 3102 is -3 normal ?

8. ramoncio

Try with 0, 1, etc. I have it in -3 and nobody has complained...
    This will increase your handset volume, so the outsiders will hear you louder.
    You hear them ok, don't you? So you just need to increase your fxs volume for them to hear you better.