Adding 2nd NIC

Discussion in 'General' started by ju88a, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ju88a

Hi Guys

I have been running elastix on an Public IP no problem. I now have the need for it to communicate with an internal Asterisk server for the IM presence, so I added a second NIC and configured with an internal IP.

The problem is Elastix when it boots it says login to your server with the public IP address showing but I can only login with the internal IP NIC. For some reason the whole server is now using eth1 as a priority for all components. Can anyone tell me how to get the GUI and the whole server to use eth0 as it used to and should?

Many Thanks
    Craig

2. dicko

It's all about routing, largely your Asterisk Server and your Web server will "listen" and respond (bind) on all interfaces, you can talk to it on the LAN interface from the LAN, you should be able to talk to it on the WAN interface from the WAN. but if you use both, then you will need to understand NAT (masquerading) and forwarding (routing) to talk between them , both of which can be done with IP-tables. (which you already have).

You really just need to get that knowledge down and it will just work, if you don't understand what I am talking about, then you will need to learn, sorry, no spoon feeding here (at least not from me :) :) ) it's all out there on the inter-tubes and google

dicko

3. ju88a

ok setup NAT in iptables still a no go. From the wan to the wan IP I get nothing. From internal to internal I get everything so its something else. WAN from WAN worked neither with or without iptables set to NAT route between the two NICs.

Anymore suggestions from anyone por favor?
    Cheers
    Craig