Activating Video

Discussion in 'General' started by mlewis, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mlewis

A few weeks ago, I had found a link which talked about how to go about activating video conferencing over elastix. I cannot find that anywhere and wonder if someone might be able to offer a little input.

While I would like to activate this function, I would also like to understand how it works a little better.

So for example, when activating this, does this mean that elastix handles some sort of connection point between two users?

And if so, does this mean that the video is passing through elastix or are the users then connected directly together, but using elastix as the management end of the conference? Once one user hangs up or ends conf, the other ends automatically?

If the video is passing through elastix, is there a way of offloading this onto another, separate server?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike

2. dicko

Asterisk is a back-to-back user agent, so "off loading to another server" is not practical, you will need a more sophisticated sip proxy server setup.
    The the signaling on port 5060 establishes the connection, the "payload" (audio/video) is sent in an RTP stream on another port (10000-20000).

canreinvite= yes

will attempt to let the endpoints re-connect that RTP stream point-to-point but there are many reasons that that might not be honored.

Otherwise asterisk will normally just pass the stream with little overhead (unless trans-coding, which is unlikely for video) but you will have to allow the video codecs just as you do with the audio codecs.

I hope that helps.

3. mlewis

Wow, hard to offload the server at every turn :).
    Ok, so the video conf is actually a part of the call setup just like a voip call then.

There are some additions in the conf files also was one of the things I had seen somewhere as well.

Mike

4. dicko

Elastix/Asterisk works exceptionally well for what it try's to do.
    It's all a matter of "Horses for Courses". I suggest you actually test it's limitation before you try and re-invent the wheel, I think you might be surprised at how powerful it is. B)

5. mlewis

Fair enough. I don't *have* to offload it, just wondered if I should think about that. I had mentioned that I will more than likely simply limit the number of users per box, that should do the trick just fine.

So, um, how do I go about activating video conferencing on the system though :).

Mike

6. dicko

Video calls should just work if you use the right client and codec,

As for conferencing, well Mike, you are on the first step of a long road, enjoy your journey !!

Step 1 google
    step 2 . . .

7. mlewis

I know it's a journey and is why I am looking for starting leads. Like I say, I know I saw some tips on things which require setting in config files as a starter.

Thanks again for your help :).