About fax on Elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by turalo, Oct 30, 2009.

  1. turalo

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    did anybody have a 100% succesfull fax installation ?

    1. Inbound DID fax to email for example ?
    2. Outbound from fax or from softphone with fax ?


    sofar I could understand nobody can send but some people are able to recieve fax, m I right ?

    if there is no 100% inbound fax solution or also no 100% outbound fax solution open source for asterisk, is there then a commercial one ?

    thanks.
     
  2. dicko

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    4,099
    Likes Received:
    0
    I believe you are not right,
    Inbound /outbound faxing works as well as the trunks you send them over, If you use G711 and a well tuned Analog/TDM trunk faxes work as well for me as traditional hardware.
    If you have a CPU, bandwidth or latency problem, or you try and use ANY codec but G711, then your chances of success are less or none.
    I decent connection over SIP to a competent VSP get's me 98%+ success, over T1, I would guess 99.5%+. Avantfax/Hylafax successfully delivered almost all the failures within an hour or so. (I find Avantfax a little more sophisticated than the current Elastix one, especially if you have more than one iaxmodem)
    As to the "soft-phone", I would have to ask "How would you do that?"
     
  3. ramoncio

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    Messages:
    1,663
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi turalo, wellcome to the forum!

    You can achieve nearly 100% of success with digital lines (BRI, PRI, etc) and iaxmodem. Or you can also consider getting a dedicated fax card to use with hylafax, and forget about iaxmodems. Eicon (now Dialogic) builds very nice fax cards for BRI and PRI, they are very reliable and really fast, but quite expensive. But you'd only really need one of those if you needed to send thousands of faxes a day.
     
  4. turalo

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    Actualy I mean in VOIP, I'm not asking possibilities via ISDN BRI or any other real telephone line, I"m wondering if anybody got it working on 100% voip, inbound outbound voip.
     
  5. dicko

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    4,099
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, I doubt anybody ever got faxes working 100%, either traditionally (analog/TDM(digital)) or v(f)oip. Line noise or a $30 dollar fax, (not to mention a VOIP fax) on the far end precludes that possibility. It's just the nature of the beast. That's why fax machines are programmed to redial on failure, but as I said, over SIP, I get better than than 98%+ and the other -2% get delivered eventually at 99%+, so to a telephony dude (like me) four nines works, Even the mail service isn't 100%.

    You asked I answered and now, (perhaps grumpily,) elucidate, within the bounds of reason the answer is yes (apart from the impossibility of 100% in anything phone related), I've used hylafax on top of Asterisk for 4 years without complaint from my clients. I suspect YMWV.
     
  6. DaveD

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    Messages:
    597
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have had faxes working 99.9% on voip for quite some time, use both in and outbound fax over voip.

    Have used all in 1 fax/printers and also software based to send and receive.
    But as Dicko says you will get 1 or 2 faxes fail for whatever reason from time to time.
     

Share This Page