Aastra script for remote phone provisionong

Discussion in 'IP Phones' started by spsah, Oct 19, 2009.

1. spsah

I have used Aastra script and it works like a charm. Only issue is that I can not use
    this script on Aastra phones if it is not connected on the same network i.e. if elastix
    server is in different VLAN/Network or at remote location over WAN. Has anyone
    tried using this script for remote phone provisioning?

2. dicko

Just make sure that port 69 (tftp) is open on your router. and that the phone knows where the tftpserver is to be found at (externip of the elastix server).

3. donhwyo

If you want a more secure way also look into setting up a vpn connection. It can be a bit of a pain but worth the effort.

Don

4. marinoss

I am not sure if my problem relates to remote phone provisioning but I thought it might be.

I am a newbie and I have recently setup Elastix with some Aastra57i. The server is located at my office and I have both local and remote (at my house) extensions. Everything works great!

The only problem I have is when I try to use the Visual Voicemail from the remote extensions I get a "Connect Timeout" on Aastra's LCD. The voicemail softkey is set to http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/aastra/asterisk/ ... 03&pin=103 where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the static IP address of my office's router. On the router I have forwarded ports 5060, 10000-20000 and 69 to my Asterisk server IP address.

Just to confirm that the Visual Voicemail works fine when I use the local extensions. For the local extensions the voicemail softkey is set to http://192.168.1.109/aastra/asterisk/vm ... 01&pin=101.

Is there a way to make this work without using VPN as suggested in the previous post?

5. aastra1

Hi marinoss,

First of all, can you confirm that the problem you have with the scripts used remotely is not limited to the Visual VM but occurs for all the scripts?
    Anyway, the XML API we have on the Aastra phones is transported by http so you also need to port forward port 80 on your router or the phone will not reach the HTTP server hosting the scripts. You also need to apply patch 2 (or even better patch 3) available at http://65.205.71.13/2.2.1 that will help.

We have plenty of examples of using the scripts being used remotely without VPN, just make sure that port 80 is forwarded. If you are scared to open the port 80, you can configure Apache with another port for the XML scripts and for ward this port but you will have to change the configuration of the remote phones to reflect this port change.

Let us konw if this works for you.

Regards

aastra1

6. marinoss

I just opened port 80 and now the visual voicemail script works just fine from the remote Aastra! Thanks a lot.

Obviously, I prefer having a more secure setup and the option to configure Apache with another port for the XML scripts sounds better. As said, I am a newbie to this but still very interested to give it a try. Can you guide me to the right path as far as setting up Apache? Is there any on-line guide / posts I can refer to?

Thanks

7. donhwyo

You could just forward some other port to port 80 on the elastix box from your router. That would make your life easier if you have to reinstall. If the other locations have fixed ip you could also restrict it to only those.

Don

8. marinoss

Yes my remote location has a fixed IP address.

I am not sure what you meant by "You could just forward some other port to port 80 on the elastix box from your router". Can you please explain?

How should I restrict access from my IP only? Shall I create an Access Policy in my router setup?

Thanks.

9. aastra1

What donhwyo means is that when you port forward on a router you can take a different value for the external port and the internal port that you are forwarding so the open port is not that obvious.

For instance you could forward external port 8079 to internal port 80, you would have to change the configuration to http://publicaddress:8079/aastra... for all the parameters.

Some advanced routers also allow port access limitations based on their incoming IP address, that is another possibility. The first option is the easiest one and secure enough...

Hope this helps.

Regards

aastra1