911 dialing at multiple locations

Discussion in 'General' started by rodeojones, Jun 21, 2010.

1. rodeojones

In the next few weeks, we are planning on going live with our Elastix server. The server will reside at our headquarters location in OKC. We have several offices throughout the country with 10-20 phones in each location.

I am trying to get an idea how we will handle 911 calls. How would we make it so that the 911 service would get called locally and the address that they receive be the address for the office that called rather than the address of our OKC location?

Thanks!
    john

2. rafael

Do you have only one Elastix server for whole country? How do you make calls? with a sip trunk, dhadi, etc..?

Regards,

rafael

3. Patrick_elx

What I have done in a small setup with two locations, I have a PBX at each, with IAX2 trunk in between. The normal route is using SIP trunks from each PBX. Each location has also an FXO backup (the only POTS line remaining that is used for fax) that is used for 911 calls.

If you only have one PBX, you should probably check with your SIP provider to have different E911 information linked to different trunk and route your emergency accordingly. You can use the outbound route module or the custom context module for that matter.

4. rodeojones

Yes, we are hoping to be able to have all of the hardware here at our headquarters. We are using a PRI (DAHDI with a Digium TE420B card) for incoming, and SIP for outgoing. If a solution requires POTS or something else, we can most likely make that happen since we are still in our testing phase.

Thank you!
    john

5. rodeojones

We only have one PBX. The goal is to have as little hardware at each office as possible because there is no IT staff there.

I am not familiar with the custom context module. I will check it out. Thanks for your help!

john

6. rodeojones

Custom Contexts works great.

Thank you both for your responses.