911 call problems

Discussion in 'General' started by mzenft, Dec 27, 2010.

1. mzenft

We have installed and been using our new Elastix system for 2 months now. We are using Polycom phones. Since we went live there has been a problem that I can't seem to solve. Folks here dial a 9 to make an outside call and a 1 for long distance. There has been many occations were they dial 911.. OOPS... They hang up and the 911 dispatcher calls back but if no one answers the police come out.
    How can I prevent these accedents from happening?
    Is it a dial plan option?

2. andyshawn

One option is to block all 911 calls. Is that an option?

If yes, then just create a rule, that sends the call nowhere or blocks it.

3. mzenft

Blocking 911 is not an option.

4. fraggle4

I was able to trap the 911 digits, play a warning message, wait a few seconds, then play the message again before finally allowing the 911 call to complete. The idea being that real emergency calls would still go through, but the mis-diallers would realize their mistake and hang up before the call completed.
    It needs some code written; however I used the Dialplan injection module, which makes it easy.
    But....I don't want to publish my solution because if not implemented correctly, I could be held responsible if fails during a real emergency. Its not just a cut-and paste job as it has to be set to match the trunk or trunkgroup being used for 911 calls.

A better solution is to create all the trunk dial patterns you need to allow direct dialing; the 9-outside rule is very sloppy. If you do that the problem goes away.

In either case you will have to do a bit of reading up and experimenting (preferably on a test box at first)

And, attacking the problem from the other end, make an Inbound Route that corresponds to the DID/CID of the emergency service and direct it to a destination where you know someone will always be available to answer the call.

5. Amphibian

Two Things I have hanging above my computer screen...

1: A note to remind me that:

A: All local calls - Dial 9 for outside line - Dial pattern set up for local calls going out,

B: Never require people to dial 9 for a outside line to make long distance calls on - I put all numbers requiring a 1 to be dial with the number on a separate dial pattern which must be accessed by dialing 8 first.

Allowing people to dial 9 then a long distance (or toll number) on a PBX System is like setting yourself up for that expensive bill from your local city for improper 911 calls. I don't know about you but I would rather teach my people to dial 8 for all long distance calls then to give my hard earned money to a city. That get too much of our money already. And, if your city isn't charging for improper dialed 911 numbers, give them time and they will be as most cities are.

Requiring people to dial 8 (or any other allowed number besides 9) on all outgoing toll calls has been the standard in the industry for as long as I can remember, and the reason for this is because allowing anyone to dial 9 the a toll number brings about the very issue you have. Read any of the required reading (such as Elastix without Tears) of setting up a good PBX System and you will see that it states this reasoning behind placing toll numbers on a different dial pattern.

Forget about trapping the dialed 911 pattern and having a recorded message, just set up a different way of making toll calls. And always have a person available to answer a 911 returned call.

2: My name so I can remember who I am at the end of the day...

Amphibian

6. hinzinho

Two more options for you:

1) Forget about dialing a 9 for a outside line. Just program the phones to dial as you would normally. Is there a reason why you must have a 9?

2) You are using Polycom handsets. Go to the digit maps under the SIP.cfg and tell it to wait a few seconds for 911 calls, from [1-9]11 to [1-9]11T. This give the user enough time to hang up before the calls goes out.

I would go with option 1. Much cleaner and easier to do a re-dial from a missed call on the phone.

7. dicko

I agree with hinzhinho, I further suggest you might want to think about requiring full 11 digit dialing for ALL calls, local and LD if in NANP land, the RBOCS and CLECS will make you do it soon anyway and almost all VOIP providers require 10 or 11 digit dialing as they always overlay more than one Area Code , it's already required in many urban areas, there would then never be a possibility of dialing anything but 0 or 1 as a MSD unless it was 911 611 411 or 311, each of these should be well crafted so your VOIP box behaves much the same as the user's home phone

Another solution if you want to keep the traditional 9+ PBX dialing is to use "closed" dialing

9|NXXNXXXXXX and/or
    9|1NXXNXXXXXX for your dialplan (N = 2-9)

and possibly
    for current deployments using 7 digit dialing,

9|NXXXXXX

in this case and using SIP/IAX2 trunks you probably need to add the AC on the trunk itself, if using dahdi trunks most carriers allow "permissive" dialing (allow the use of the same AC as you are in),

if so add it now for when the require it later, this is generally available everywhere but Texas, Georgia, and some jurisdictions in Canada, I believe these will soon allow it though.
    911 alone is not thereby allowed on these routes. (no Area codes in NANP begin with 1, and further, N11 is also precluded) you should build a special route for 911 probably use a special trunk, and give it secondary priority behind another route 911X. that will catch 4 or more digits starting with 911 and play them the "stoopid_dialing_be careful!" recording) anyway, bear in mind there is an inter-digit 5 second timer for the stumble fingered though, so SLOWLY dialing 9 pause 1 pause 1 pause for more than 5 seconds something else will get the big red truck rolling anyway.

if you allow 7 digit dialing then

NNNXXXX
    N1NXXXX
    NN1XXXX

is more correct than the usual NXXXXXX

as an historic note 911 was chosen for this very reason it should work from both a well provisioned PBX or a home phone with few errors (all office codes (exchanges) in NANP are also of the form NXX with the added proviso that the XX cannot be 11 )

(ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... ering_Plan )

8. eonkibar

It is okey for 911 but there are many vaious of numbers in our country to call, for example "11880", this is an unknown numbers service but I can not call from my softphone it says "All Circuits are busy now"(The magic voice :)) How may I solve this problem, some discussions says setup a new trunk, then what will gonna be the new attributes of new trunk and is there any other working way for this?