3CX SPA 942 - Converting from Elastix

Discussion in 'IP Phones' started by Tech TelcomPBX, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Tech TelcomPBX

Hi, I know the SPA 942 is not made or supported any longer. Or supported by 3cx support. But, I know it is a generic sip device.

I assume that I would just use the URL of the 3cx --- name.3cx.us
    extension and password
    (generic Sip )
    Running newest 3CX (will download) Free trial version.

. I am moving a client from Elastix and they said yes as long as they don't need to new phones. The hope is they upgrade later to new phones and license. But If I cant move them its a dead deal. Having issues with Elastix and seems to be good timing to migrate them over to 3cx. HELP.
    PS - Hate I heard that 3CX does not support really generic sip which is very limiting for such a great system. I also have a client who wants a Cordless phone and Panasonic is my preferred not yealink on that.

2. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

Hi, yes as sip server use the FQDN but that resolver the external IP, if the phone is local then use the local LAN IP of the PBX and port 5060

You will need to configure manually that device.

Here you can see the supported phones: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

3. Tech TelcomPBX

I did try do what you per say described above but ran into settings issues. This phone is working on Elastix I need to use it as a generic sip device for 3CX. I put the IP address in Proxy (blurred the digits)
    I used the Extension and password as Authentication
    I tried both extension such as 1212@123.123.43.43 (extension) @ ( IP address) I also tried with just the IP address. I did tried the fdqn.3cx.us

Please can some tell me how to fill in these blocks correctly to match 3CX generic sip. The clients Elastix is down now completely and I rather just put them on 3CX . Otherwise I have to troubleshoot and repair code on Elastix. PLEASE this was my trial switch over from Elastix to 3CX and I got 60 phones of the spa 942 a 2 years ago and put all 9 clients on Elastix. Eventually I can get them to upgrade phones but for now I need this to work.

Attached Files:

4. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

Hi,

If the phone is in the same subnet then enter the local IP address of PBX in the field Proxy, enter the extension password in the password field and the extension authentication id in the field authentication id. Then clic submit all changes.

With that the phone should send a REGISTER message to the PBX and authenticate.

If need assistance with that device you will need to enter in contact with the Brand of the phone since it is an end of life product.

Have a great day!

5. Tech TelcomPBX

the IP address is remote of the phone it is on a VPS cloud. So do I need to add something to IP ? 2nd please explain - extension authentication id - Are you saying the Extension with Elastix it was the extension number. With the Elastix it was easy just IP address, Extension password, and ID was Extension digits. So trying to translate to its equal in 3CX. I know this is end of its life phone (please help) this should be SIMPLY. One thing I dislike about 3CX is it is NOT simple.

6. AJP

AJP
    Staff Member

Hi, for security reason extensions are not allowed to be used as remote.

You need to edit the extension go to the tab Options and disable the parameter Disallow use of extension outside the LAN (Remote extensions using Direct SIP or STUN will be blocked).

Then check the blacklist, the public IP should be there as Deny.

If you were using a supported phone the provisioning is just two clicks, also using the 3CX Client the provisioning takes less than 1 minute provisioning...