256 virtual faxes limitation

Discussion in 'General' started by emenny81, Feb 10, 2010.

1. emenny81

Hi guys I just wanted to put this out there, I guess elastix does have a limit on virtual faxes. I spoke with tech support yesterday and that was his conclusion, every virtual fax created after that number doesn't go idle and if you call that extension you never receive a fax tone.

Anybody know if there's going to be a true fax server implementation in the future, what I mean by this is that instead of creating all 256 plus virtual faxes, you would only create the ports limited by how many PRI's you have and then create your user base on top and have these users share the ports and have all inbound faxes routed via DID, every user associated with the DID.

Well I just wanted to put this out there, I have 350 users in my company and all of them have faxes, I wanted to use elastix as my fax server replacement but building 350 extensions, inbound routes and virtual faxes is a lot of work.

Any ways thanks for reading...

2. izrunas

We found the fax implementation in Elastix to be lacking, too. In the end, we built a second server with CentOS, Hylafax, iaxModem, and Avantfax--and we got DID-based routing to work as well! It's a shame that Elastix has not done a better job with this--though I am VERY hopeful for future releases.

We have a few servers built so far that handle loads like you describe with no issue. They work like a champ. One of our user sites handles an average of well over 1000 inbound and 1000 outbound individual faxes per day (no broadcasting--this is just a fax-intensive company).

If I can be of some further help with specifics about how I accomplished all this, please contact me offline.

3. emenny81

Hi thanks for the reply, Im downloading skype, I didn't find a way to send you a PM on the forum.

4. Patrick_elx

I think I remember reading that the latest beta of FreePBX has improved the DID routing for fax. Should be an official release soon.