1) Yum update, 2) System will no longer boot

Discussion in 'General' started by izrunas, Apr 15, 2009.

1. izrunas

We did a yum update on a 1.3 box and everything seemed to go ok, until we rebooted the box. Now, the box just goes to a grub prompt and sits there. We're about to re-image the machine, but I keep hoping there's a better way to repair it...

2. rollinsolo

I was installing 1.5 last night and did a yum update from SSH and it was bad, this time I went right into free pbx updated all of the modules, and now I am scared to yum update. Because when I did it last night I could not reload a page it was jammed up, clean Install. You have to be careful with updating 1.3 because if it loads dahdi drivers it will put those into your kernel and you will be done, once the kernel has been manipulated, hopefully the last backup you have is recent. Sorry but that happened to me when I paid for support and they screwed me. Took me three days before I said screw it and wiped reloaded and got it working. Nightmare. Sorry I wasn't more helpful, I just don't want you to go through the days of frustration like I did. Be careful with update if you are not sure what it will pull into your box, I know i am not.

3. PHBarry

I just spent two weeks setting this up and the samething. I looked at grub.conf in linux rescue mode and it changed the label to /1 instead of /boot it now boots but kernel panicing saysing /dev/null does not exist...

4. PHBarry

Maybe I am wrong root it labeled /1 but now it does not seem to boot to my hardware raid instead it boots one drive... I dont know why you would remove all the other grub entries on an upgrade...

5. PHBarry

So today I decided to go back to Trixbox from a backup I had in Elastix. That didn't work! Trixbox has completely changed to a their own fork of freepbx called PBXCONFIG. In freepbx in trixbox now and it does not have the freepbx backup module. Anyways earlier in the day I had installed the newest stable version of Elastix on a virtual server and imported my backup and it worked with out issue. Now that I had reinstalled Trixbox I remembered why I had been trying other distributions to begin with. I was fead up with the recent changes to Trixbox. So I reinstalled Elastix and got my backup imported with out to much effort. I also realize the original problem was due to the hardware raid...

6. rollinsolo

Barry are you in St. Pete, I am in Tampa. Lets work on stuff together.

7. PHBarry

What do you have some jobs you need help with? Do you have a website? What is it you do exactly? I pretty much do it all.. Managed Services... Linux, Unix, Windows, and Mac OS..

8. PHBarry

I was going to try to PM you send the sales@pinellashosting.com and I will send you my IM name if you want to chat about some work..