[1.5.2/31.Mar.09] Installation hangs with bluescr

Discussion in 'General' started by ufoonline, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ufoonline

Hello,

I got a problem during the installation process of Elastix 1.5.2-32bit/31.mar.09.

After I'v chose the language (at first time.. Italian, next time I'v chosed English).. and after I'v chosed the keyboard it (I'vnt tried other keyboards, I don't think it is the problem) the installation say:
    Starting anaconda blablabla...

And after it will show only a blue screen and hangs there.

Attention: Only the installation process hangs, if push CTRL-ALT-CANC or simply ALT+F2 for the console, u see the system up and alive.

Someone else have got the same issue?

(I'v already saw that the system see the disk and are able to write on)

Thank you,
    Best Regards
    [Now installing centos 5.2 and after an upgrade to 5.3 I'll try to install elastix as described here.]

2. ramoncio

Have you tried burning another CD? Maybe there's some problem with it. Or with the downloaded iso.
    Or it can be a hardware incompatibility, can you tell what hardware are you trying to install it into?

3. ufoonline

No, I'vnt tryed to burn another CD.
    I'v installled Centos 5.2 upgraded to 5.3 and after, I'v installed on the Elastix RPMs with the guide linked in the last post. and everything has worked as a sharm.

Output of lspci:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    01:01.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN interface
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter (rev a0)

When I'm at office, I'll edit that post with the Motherboard model.

Regards

4. Bob

Bob

ufoonline,

I have a test machine with a Gigabyte motherboard that brings up similar prime information e.g. ICH7, IDE, installed with TDM400....

No issues with 1.5.2 install off the ISO.

The main difference is that I have not used the Attansic Ethernet adaptor.

There are a couple of reports of Realtek and Attansic not working well together, and I am sure that there was a report of Redhat (latest versions), late last year having a problem with the Attansic adaptor.

Only suggestions at the moment is to

1) Disable/remove the Attansic adaptor (if possible)
    2) check the options in the BIOS on the HD controller. If your board supports SATA & IDE, have a look at options and if it is on Auto, try some hard settings e.g. PATA / SATA /SATA Enhanced.

It may be unfortunate that the Centos version currently used in the March 31 iso, may have some sort of bug in the Anaconda , which you have managed to avoid by installing Centos 5.2 and then upgrading to Centos 5.3.

Anyhow nothing concrete, just some possible thoughts...

Regards

Bob

5. fricci

I'm having the same issue. I'm trying to install latest stable release. I tried both 32 and 64 bit versions with the same result.

The hardware is a Dell SC1425 xeon server.

I'm not very good with linux so I'm stuck here...any ideas?

6. ramoncio

See point 2) that Bob suggested, many bios have different SATA modes try all of them. Also make sure that the CD is ok.

7. fricci

Ramoncio...

Already tried that.....

Have 3 servers I need to install with elastix...can't get it to work....

I tried:

Raid configuration
    No raid configuration
    both ways I have the same result. After keyboard settings it starts anaconda, right after video probing I get blue screen........nothing else. Waited for a good 20 minutes....nothing.

8. ramoncio

Could you try with an usb cd-rom? Maybe the CD unit is not properly detected.

9. Bob

Bob

Fricci,

The last set of ideas that others have provided you with are reasonably spot on, especially Ramoncio's regardng the USB drive.

The area you are "blue screening" on (You might have to stop using this term - I thing Microsoft have own this as a trademark ;-) ) are generally the area where the disk subsystem is accessed, so generally the areas to concentrate on are

1) Hard Disk Controller
    2) CD ROM (sometimes coming off the same controller)

To Quote the Dell Documentation on installing RedHat ES3
    For the PowerEdge 800 and SC 1425 Systems
    Before installing Linux on your system, ensure that the SATA Controller option under the
    Integrated Devices menu in the System Setup program is not set to "RAID."

This might be your best bet is to look at Google and look for others with Dell SC1425, having issues installing RH EL3/RH EL5/Centos5 or what they did.

Regards

Bob

10. alenj

hello.

i am having the identical problem on the HP Proliant ML110.
    SATA native mode is on auto - and no RAID is enabled.
    better yet - I have Elastix 1.3 on that machine, which I installed last year without a problem. CD burned from ISO is tested and correct.
    i have no ideas left.

11. edvarg

hello, I got 4 identicall Proliant ML150 G5 with Array 1, have installed Elastix 1.3 in 3 of those and worked great, but in the fourth system tryed to install 1.5 both 32 and 64 and the same error, the blue screen with nothing on it, but the server is running fine.

2 of the systems with 1.3 have been upgrade to 1.5.2 and then the systems started to reset ramdomly every day or every 2 days, there must be some incompatibility with this hardware and the 1.5 release.

We are running some test and will post the results.

12. mihpel

I could not make it work of the cd regardless if setting on raid or single drive on ML115.

what i was forced to do was update from 1.3.2 .

One thing you should take in consideration, if you go down that road, is that after the upgrade the system sets to xen as the default kernel.
    To bypass this edit /etc/grub.conf to non-xen (default=1) and change DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-xen to DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel in /etc/sysconfig/kernel both before rebooting the machine after the update.

Other than that you should be ok.

This issue is resolved in the new beta version of elastix 1.6

13. mihpel

Regarding the random resets i think you should look in /var/log/messages to see whats going on and open a new thread including your findings

14. pnaves

I got the same error in my HP Proliant ml110. Someone managed to solve the problem?

tks

15. donhwyo

16. pnaves

1.6 works fine